CFI-I Checkride stories?

Old July 18th 03, 12:00 AM
Ron Garrison

Please tell me that you are joking. I ended up rescheduling my IA checkride
twice. The first time I went in, the winds were 20G30, and I told the DE
that those were above my personal minimums to launch a flight (altough I
could land in it if I had to). The second time was a cold day (-2C) with a
4000 foot ceiling and light snow. I stated my concerns about icing (very
minor given the low temperature) and visibility (a big deal, with the snow
flurries). As the official weather was legal VFR I felt bad about cancelling
the second time, and told him. Anyway, the DE told me that if I had elected
to go that day, he probably would have failed me for exercising poor
judgement, and said something about white airplanes being hard to see
against a white background when surrounded by white snow.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Mine was a royal PITA. The oral was not too bad, but the weather was
terrible with moderate to severe turbulence. I was sick as a dog with a

high
fever and had little or no sleep. I could not re-schedule as the school
(AllATPs) policy was to simply kick anybody out who refused to take a

check
ride for any reason. I had just taken my CFI/MEI ride the day before and

was
still tired from that. I was in an unfamiliar area at a huge class C

airport
and had never flown an approach at any of the local airports before. I had
trouble even finding my airplane. I busted the ride, of course, completely
unable to maintain heading or altitude for even a few seconds. The retake
the next afternoon was the exact same circumstances, except I was feeling
even worse, but somehow I squeaked through.

I would never allow one of my students to take a check ride under similar
conditions. Nothing against AllATPs, but their idiotic check ride policy

is
likely to get somebody killed.

Moral of the story -- don't fly when you should not. I think my judgment
must have been at an absolute low ebb in those days.

Old July 18th 03, 01:04 AM
C J Campbell

"Ron Garrison" wrote in message
.. .