Contest Numbers/Letters

Old September 30th 03, 12:47 AM
Ken Kochanski

Default Contest Numbers/Letters

I can remember how enjoyable it was to paint my wing numbers on my first 15
ship. It was kind of a right of passage.

Taking them off and repainting again was not so much fun ... for as we all
know, the letters have to be right side up when you viewed from the ground
as you approach the gate i.e. the top of letter should be along leading
edge. At least I didn't have letters on both wings as Gleb did in The
Sunship Game. :-))

Since we don't need 2- 3 foot letters for ground viewing, how about allowing
6" letters behind the gear doors for thermal/gaggle identification. (BTW,
I have actually been in thermals so crowded, I could not see the wing
numbers of the glider above and just outside me ... because his fuse was in
the way. I could see his gear doors ... and hinge rivets ...real fine,
though.)

KK
--
Ken Kochanski

Old September 30th 03, 01:19 AM
Ray Lovinggood

ID's behind the gear doors would be beneficial for
the fiberglass furball situations, but I would definitely
keep the BIG LETTERS under the wing.

Since I gave up on trying to make the time match with
suitable weather for painting my numbers, I 'cheaped
out' and went for the 'simple' stick-on vinyls. Boy,
did I screw those up. Boy, are there a lot of corners
on the letter 'W' and those corners makes it hard for
one with ten thumbs and no guidance!

My ID is 'W8'.

For unknown reason, I started with the 'W' on the left
side of the fin. So, the 'W' was placed with much
cussing due to wrinkles (isn't that what the 'W' stands
for?). Next came the '8' which went on the left side
of the rudder.

That disaster completed, I moved to the right side.
Hmm, I started with the 'W' on the fin on the left
side, I'll start with the 'W' on the fin on the right.

For a moment there, I was thinking of being 'W8' for
those to my port side and '8W' for those on my starboard...

Is there a book yet entitled 'Gliders and Gliding for
Idiots'???

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS-1d 'W8'

Old October 1st 03, 11:32 PM
Ray Lovinggood

I learned about the soapy water method after I applied
the letters to the tail. :-(

However, when I did the wing, I had not only soapy
water, but also an extra pair of hands. Those big
letters went on a lot easier and without wrinkles due
to both.

Ray

At 20:06 01 October 2003, Todd Pattist wrote:
Ray Lovinggood wrote:

So, the 'W' was placed with much
cussing due to wrinkles (isn't that what the 'W' stands
for?).

Did you use water with soap on the adhesive side of
the
letters, or try the dreaded 'dry' method?
Todd Pattist - 'WH' Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old October 5th 03, 05:58 AM
Steve Bralla

In article , Todd Pattist
writes:

Ray Lovinggood wrote:

I learned about the soapy water method after I applied
the letters to the tail. :-(

I applied one side dry too, then learned the soapy wet
method. Fortunately, I started on the trailer's fin :-)
Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C

I'll be putting contest numbers on my new to me glider. I've done it before,
but what is the "soapy water method?
Thanks,
Steve
Old October 5th 03, 07:08 AM
John Morgan

"Steve Bralla" wrote in message
In article , Todd Pattist
writes:

I'll be putting contest numbers on my new to me glider. I've done it

before,
but what is the "soapy water method?
Thanks,
Steve

Add a few drops of liquid hand dishwashing detergent to a spray bottle full
of water. Spray solution onto surface before applying decal. This will allow
decal to be precisely positioned and moved on the surface as necessary.
Squeegee out all moisture from under decal. You can use a plastic squeegee
for this or even a damp rag. Once you have all the bumps and bubbles out,
leave it alone for a few hours and the sticker will be on there.

--
bumper - ZZ
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

---