Airmap 2000C ???

Old April 24th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

Default Airmap 2000C ???

I just got my new Lowrance Airmap 2000C and am playing with it before I fly
with it. It is different enough from my current GPS (King Airmap IIIC) that
I have a bit of a learning curve to get comfortable with the new unit.

After spending over 30 minutes with Lowrance on hold, then getting
disconnected, I thought I see if any of you have solved this.

I thought I'd load a custom map on the same SD card with the aviation
database, then if I wanted to use it on the road, I wouldn't have to change
cards.

As soon as I power up with the SD card containing the custom map inserted,
no aviation data appears, just road map stuff. This happens despite the unit
being in the aviation mode.

There is plenty of room on the SD card I used for both the custom map and
the aviation database files.

Have any of you run into this issue?

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old April 24th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Isaksen

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message ...
I just got my new Lowrance Airmap 2000C and am playing
with it before I fly with it. It is different enough from my current
GPS (King Airmap IIIC) that I have a bit of a learning curve to
get comfortable with the new unit.

Can't help you with the SD card problem, but what made you decide to give up
the IIIC ?

I noticed the Skymap IIIC had the Victor Airways in it and I still use them
for all my routing in the Northeast. I was actually thinking about getting
one, and you're the first person I've found who actually used one. Any diff
between the Airmap and the Skymap?

Old April 25th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

Can't help you with the SD card problem, but what made you decide to give
up the IIIC ?

I noticed the Skymap IIIC had the Victor Airways in it and I still use
them for all my routing in the Northeast. I was actually thinking about
getting one, and you're the first person I've found who actually used one.
Any diff between the Airmap and the Skymap?

I haven't yet decided to get rid of the Skymap. It's a real fine unit.
However I have a Tri-Pacer and I have to use it strapped to my leg. It's too
big for a yoke mount. If I ever needed full aileron deflection with the yoke
way back the Skymap could get in the way.

I did an annual on a plane with a Lowrance 2000C then delivered it. I
thought it was a neat unit. Then I found out they were deeply discounted as
a Sun & Fun special and convinced my wife I should try it out. :-)

Here's what I like about the Lowrance The smaller size will lend itself to
better mounting in my plane. The dual land-air modes should be a plus. The
battery back up is a plus. And last but not least, the data base updates are
only $35.00 and use standard SD cards. I think a single database update for
the King is around $250.00 requiring a card exchange.

I have an old panel mounted GPS that I never use. If I mount the new
Lowrance where the old Morrow was, my wife will be able to see it as well as
I can. Then she could do any GPS programming etc, leaving my eyes outside
the cockpit.

Now here's the rub. The King has wonderful screen resolution. I don't much
care for the screen on the Lowrance. I think the Skymap is much more
intuitive then the Lowrance.

To be fair I haven't flown the Lowrance yet. I need to learn it a bit better
so I'm not pressing buttons instead of looking outside. Should I decide I
can't part with the King, I should be able to get most of my purchase price
back due to the discount price of the Lowrance.

On the other hand if I decide it's a keeper I can peddle the Skymap for
about what the Lowrance cost.

If I had more cockpit room I wouldn't think of getting rid of the Skymap
it's really a great unit.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

AirMap® 2000C Kevin Black Home Built 2 August 6th 04 02:24 PM
AirMap® 2000C Kai Glaesner Aviation Marketplace 1 August 6th 04 02:24 PM
AirMap® 2000C Kai Glaesner Piloting 1 August 6th 04 02:24 PM
AirMap® 2000C Kevin Black Aviation Marketplace 0 August 4th 04 11:10 AM
AirMap® 2000C Kevin Black Piloting 0 August 4th 04 11:10 AM