AIRPLANES!

Old October 5th 04, 09:56 PM
W P Dixon

Default AIRPLANES!

Hello Gang!
Just dropping a line to find out what projects people are working on in
the group. Have not seen alot of aircraft talk , just rambling about Zoom
etc. Even my inquiry about the Mini-Coupe became a boater talk session !
HAHA Myself I am interested in the Hummel Ultracruiser Plus, Sonex, and the
Mini-Coupe. Any input on those birds would be appreciated. Also if there are
any avionics techs here could you reccommend a good transponder w/altitude?
Avionics is definitely my weakness! Doing the retired thing so of course I
will be looking for good deals on avionics and good tips to spend my money
wisely. Yeah we all know , the wisest thing is not sink money into a plane
....but heck we just can't help ourselves can we?!?

Old October 5th 04, 11:02 PM
Rich S.

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
. . . Also if there are
any avionics techs here could you reccommend a good transponder
w/altitude?

Ask your local avionics shop and I'll bet they tell you that the King KT-76
is bulletproof.

Rich "Bought a Collins - Only one shop works on 'em." S.

Old October 6th 04, 02:30 AM

Well, I'll go. I've got an ICP Savannah about 3/4 done. It is an aluminum
two place inspired by the Zenith 701. It is designed for STOL. Some call it
a rip off of the 701, but there are a number of improvements:

Creases on the fuselage skins to reduce "drumming"

More conventional tail instead of the "inverted airfoil"

Higher cruise speed

Kit has most parts drilled, deburred, and ready for assembly

Delivery time is about 4 weeks instead of 6-8

More instruments supplied, plus cabin heat and seat upolstery included
in price. Both are about same price.

Of course there are some minuses as well:

Rated climb is 1200 f/m compared to 1300 for the 701

Tires are smaller in diameter

Track width of wheels is six inches narrower

So far, no major hitches with build. The manual could be better, but it's not
terrible. There is a fairly active forum on yahoo for the Savannah, and the
folks there are pretty good at answering questions.

tom pettit

Old October 6th 04, 03:42 AM
RobertR237

Hello Gang!
Just dropping a line to find out what projects people are working on in
the group. Have not seen alot of aircraft talk , just rambling about Zoom
etc. Even my inquiry about the Mini-Coupe became a boater talk session !
HAHA Myself I am interested in the Hummel Ultracruiser Plus, Sonex, and the
Mini-Coupe. Any input on those birds would be appreciated. Also if there are
any avionics techs here could you reccommend a good transponder w/altitude?
Avionics is definitely my weakness! Doing the retired thing so of course I
will be looking for good deals on avionics and good tips to spend my money
wisely. Yeah we all know , the wisest thing is not sink money into a plane
...but heck we just can't help ourselves can we?!?

I let my web site do my talking about my project. I think you will find plenty
there to keep you occupied about home building a great 4-place composite
aircraft for at least a few hours.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old October 6th 04, 04:01 AM
Richard Lamb

W P Dixon wrote:

Hello Gang!
Just dropping a line to find out what projects people are working on in
the group. Have not seen alot of aircraft talk , just rambling about Zoom
etc. Even my inquiry about the Mini-Coupe became a boater talk session !
HAHA Myself I am interested in the Hummel Ultracruiser Plus, Sonex, and the
Mini-Coupe. Any input on those birds would be appreciated. Also if there are
any avionics techs here could you reccommend a good transponder w/altitude?
Avionics is definitely my weakness! Doing the retired thing so of course I
will be looking for good deals on avionics and good tips to spend my money
wisely. Yeah we all know , the wisest thing is not sink money into a plane
...but heck we just can't help ourselves can we?!?

Well, since you asked... Hello yourself.

I got a call from Bruce King this week.

His new BK-1 passed muster with the Friendly Aviation Angency.
It should be out here at the field sometime in the next two week(ends)s.

Leo got home from Illinois (in the Taylorcraft) today.

We are both ready for signoff inspections, and hope to get them both
of our airplanes signed off this month.

Leo has built a Zenith Super Zodiac with a Rotax 912 and Ivo constant
speed prop.

Anyway, that will make three new homebuilts on the field.

Good e'nuf reason for a bar-b-que?

Bruce's Hummel and new BK-1:
www.hometown.aol.com/dbk4939

and my new parasol:
http://home.earthlink.net/~n6228l/

Richard Lamb
Old October 6th 04, 04:13 AM
W P Dixon

I looked at the Savannah myself, I just had to being a Georgia boy by birth!
HAHA From what I could see of it in the pictures I saw I really liked it.
Glad tompet cleared up some differences to the 701, because my first thought
was how similar they were. I guess when it comes down to it alot of planes
are very close in resemblance to another, good to see some actual
difference.
I will check into the king KT-76 transponder as was mentioned earlier in
the thread. The avionics is really going to be the old budget buster for
me..but I don't want junk either. That's a fine line in avionics ,
affordable----junk. HAHA
Bob the KIS is a nice looking bird, darn good cruising speeds as well!
Wish the sport pilot thing would allow alittle faster and heavier. I don't
know if I would enjoy all the composite stuff. I learned after 20 years that
I hated messing with fiberglass and such...it just ate me alive! Some people
it doesn't bother, and I do feel it's a good material to build with. It just
itches me absolutely to death..no matter how much I cover myself! No I won't
do any body work on vettes either..I itch thinking of it! HAHA

Old October 6th 04, 04:29 AM
W P Dixon

Nice parasol! I like BK's HummelBird too, I had thought of that but figured
it might be best to go alittle bigger with the plus, what can I
say..retirement has added about 25 pounds! HAHA Amazing how that happens,
must not be doing enough hunting and fishing! hee hee I would definitely say
3 birds in the field are reason for a Bar-B-Que. Heck any reason is a good
enough reason for a Bar-B-Que come to think of it! HA Since you are dealing
with those "friendly" people, you may give me some good advice. As far as my
paperwork I was planning on doing Assembly Outlines, like what
McDonnell-Douglas used for their paperwork in building a plane. Do you think
that would be overkill? Or a good idea because of thoroughness? I plan on
keeping any metal paperwork used to form parts and as I said have a good
assembly outline type paperwork to follow the process all the way to being
on the airplane . And of course the same would hold true for anything going
on the plane. I know being a hombuilt it all does not have to be certifiable
stuff , but I hope to use it when I can and have the paperwork traced from
recieveing it to installing it and testing , etc. So what do you think?

!

Old October 6th 04, 06:23 PM
Dude

Zenith is none to happy about the ICP guys ripping off their designs.
Apparently, they make a similar "improved" version of the low wing as well.

Hope everything comes out okay on yours, but maybe you should buy a set of
plans from Heintz if you can. The guy did design the plane afterall, he
should get some money for it.

Old October 7th 04, 04:10 AM
RobertR237

Bob the KIS is a nice looking bird, darn good cruising speeds as well!
Wish the sport pilot thing would allow alittle faster and heavier. I don't
know if I would enjoy all the composite stuff. I learned after 20 years that
I hated messing with fiberglass and such...it just ate me alive! Some people
it doesn't bother, and I do feel it's a good material to build with. It just
itches me absolutely to death..no matter how much I cover myself! No I won't
do any body work on vettes either..I itch thinking of it! HAHA

Scratch...Scratch...I din't know what you are talking about. BFG

I have never had any problems with the fiberglass or the epoxies but a few
people do. I really enjoy working with it because it allows a bit more builder
creativity. It is not for everyone though and that is good, we need to build
experience in each building method.

Old October 7th 04, 05:11 AM
W P Dixon

HA
You are right Robert a builder needs to tinker with numerous technics.
Even if you build a metal, plane using fiberglass to make the insides of a
baggage compartment can save some weight. There are definite advantages in
every process....I'm still itching! HAHA

SMALLL airplanes.. BllFs6 Home Built 12 May 8th 04 12:48 PM
Airplanes & Sewer Clamps Veeduber Home Built 5 November 2nd 03 12:37 PM
Sport Pilot Airplanes - Homebuilt? Rich S. Home Built 8 August 10th 03 11:41 PM