Choices...

Old September 29th 04, 12:30 AM
Brinks

Default Choices...

I'm looking at two older Cessna 182's. Both are the same year, both have
roughly the same radios, both are in roughly the same condition, both are
asking about the same price, except for the following:

1) Plane A has a newly overhauled engine, some hail damage, and newer gyros

2) Plane B has about 600 hours on the engine, no hail, and the old AN gyros

Any opinions / advice on which to pursue? Thanks!

Chris

Old September 29th 04, 12:52 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Brinks wrote:

I'm looking at two older Cessna 182's. Both are the same year, both have
roughly the same radios, both are in roughly the same condition, both are
asking about the same price, except for the following:

1) Plane A has a newly overhauled engine, some hail damage, and newer gyros

2) Plane B has about 600 hours on the engine, no hail, and the old AN gyros

Any opinions / advice on which to pursue? Thanks!

If there are indications that the engine was overhauled just to make it more
attractive to buyers (IOW, just to sell the plane), I would probably opt for plane B.
If I had plans to fly in IMC a fair amount, I would lean towards plane A. If I were
Jay Honeck and felt that the appearance of the plane was indicative of the overall
condition, I would buy plane B. :-)

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 29th 04, 01:05 AM
zatatime

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:52:28 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Brinks wrote:

[...]

What George said.... If the O/H wasn't done just to sell it, I'd look
at the one that was closer to where I live. It's possible that could
save you a couple grand in transportation expenses. If the new engine
was put in just to make the sale, go for B as long as the hail damage
is slight.

HTH.
Old September 29th 04, 02:03 AM
Javier Henderson

"Brinks" writes:

I'm looking at two older Cessna 182's. Both are the same year, both have
roughly the same radios, both are in roughly the same condition, both are
asking about the same price, except for the following:

1) Plane A has a newly overhauled engine, some hail damage, and newer gyros

2) Plane B has about 600 hours on the engine, no hail, and the old AN gyros

Any opinions / advice on which to pursue? Thanks!

If (1) involves a just-to-sell overhaul, then I'd pick (2).

If (1) involves a good overhaul by a reputable shop, then I'd pick (1).

-jav
Old September 29th 04, 02:28 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Brinks" wrote in message
I'm looking at two older Cessna 182's. Both are the same year, both have
roughly the same radios, both are in roughly the same condition, both are
asking about the same price, except for the following:

1) Plane A has a newly overhauled engine, some hail damage, and newer
gyros

2) Plane B has about 600 hours on the engine, no hail, and the old AN
gyros

Any opinions / advice on which to pursue? Thanks!

Chris

How long do you expect to keep the airplane? If the answer is "forever or
darned close" go with the aircraft that doesn't have hail damage, because
hail damage will *always* be there. Gyros are relatively inexpensive (and
when does $500 become inexpensive???) and if you keep the airplane long
enough you'll need to rebuild the engine anyway.

If you're not planning on keeping the plane forever, consider the airplane
with the rebuilt engine, but make sure the overhaul was properly done.
Also, remember that the hail damage will always be a negative mark on this
airplane, and may scare off potential buyers down the road..

KB

Old September 29th 04, 01:16 PM
NYJim

It's almost always cheaper to buy a plane that meets your needs and not
buy one with the intention of "fixing it up".

Another consideration is how will it present to buyers when you try to
sell it. Even if you're planning on keeping it long term .. you're personal
circumstances may change that plan. Always cover your rear and
buy something that will be marketable.

Old September 29th 04, 04:04 PM
Mike Rapoport

I you live where it large hail is common and you are going to leave the
plane tied down outside, then pick A.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 30th 04, 02:43 AM
bryan chaisone

Hail damage? No son, them there r dimple(speed)tapes.;)

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone