Flying in MD/DC/VA area [ADIZ]?

Old November 7th 03, 07:02 PM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

Default Flying in MD/DC/VA area [ADIZ]?

I'm a private pilot based in Seattle, WA but I'll be home for the
holidays in Columbia, MD. I am planning to do some flying from KFME (Fort
Meade) and was wondering if pilots in the area can tell me about flying in
the ADIZ. I'm reading APOAs stuff now (and updated my maps). Here in WA
we still have 4 TFRs but you just don't fly into them.
I'm VFR only, but it seems like the key points a

1) File flight plan (can you do this from a cell phone, NOTAM seems to
imply linelines only)

2) Get squak code/clearance on ground PRIOR to takeoff

3) Open flight plan (or can you do that when you contact ATC for the squak
code).

4) Follow flight plan (how much can you deviate)

5) Close flight plan (not done at landing by ATC automatically, can you
close with airport in site from the air or only by phone after landing).

Last time I was home (pre 9-11) I would fly people over downtown
Baltimore (football and baseball studiums) and the bay bridge. That looks
like it's out, or will ATC clear you into these areas?
I'm also planning a trip from KFME to KBED to fly some people up to see
'Nana'
Old November 7th 03, 08:18 PM
Ron Natalie

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" wrote in message ...

1) File flight plan (can you do this from a cell phone, NOTAM seems to
imply linelines only)

Sure. The FAA has no clue how you are reaching them.

3) Open flight plan (or can you do that when you contact ATC for the squak
code).

You don't need to open it explicitly. You need to
1. File
2. Squawk
3. Talk

4) Follow flight plan (how much can you deviate)

There's not really much of a route in the flight plan. Supposedly ATC
can let you go where you want, although there are some controllers
(especially in the Chesapeake (Baltimore) sectors that seem to have
differing opinion).

Last time I was home (pre 9-11) I would fly people over downtown
Baltimore (football and baseball studiums) and the bay bridge. That looks
like it's out, or will ATC clear you into these areas?

There's not supposed to be anything that prevents them from clearing you
into these areas. Unlike the 15 mile ring around DC, there is no special
rules for the Class B over Baltimore (over the ADIZ). However, as I
mentioned above, the Chesapeake sector controllers seem to have a bug
up their ass (probably a bad attitude from having to relocate to Bum****,
Virginia for the consolidated tracon).

Old November 7th 03, 08:29 PM
John T

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" wrote in message

1) File flight plan (can you do this from a cell phone, NOTAM seems to
imply linelines only)

Yes, you need to file an "ADIZ flight plan". Behind the scenes, this is
entered into the system as an IFR flight plan with "DCA ADIZ" in the remarks
section and a VFR altitude in the altitude block.

2) Get squak code/clearance on ground PRIOR to takeoff

Yes, usually done via the clearance delivery frequency, but landline is an
option. Remember that there is no need for a "clearance". Call up
clearance delivery to "activate my ADIZ flight plan", get your squawk code
and departure frequency.

3) Open flight plan (or can you do that when you contact ATC for the
squak code).

This is effectively done when you get your squawk code. The one key
ingredient you didn't explicitly mention in your post is the requirement to
maintain two-way comms with ATC after takeoff.

4) Follow flight plan (how much can you deviate)

You're VFR. ATC will generally treat you as VFR. If you decide to circle a
friend's house (and your friend happens *not* to be a member of the National
Command Authority), be prepared to answer ATC's inquiry of "say intentions",
but this is rarely a problem. I recently did this on a VFR flight and ATC's
only response was "confirm departing toward MRB after maneuvers". I've also
conducted flight "training" inside the ADIZ with no special coordination.

5) Close flight plan (not done at landing by ATC automatically, can
you close with airport in site from the air or only by phone after
landing).

When you're approaching the airport of landing, inform ATC "field in sight".
They'll give you the standard "maintain squawk until on the ground,
frequency changed approved". Land safely and park the plane. That's it.

Last time I was home (pre 9-11) I would fly people over downtown
Baltimore (football and baseball studiums) and the bay bridge. That
looks like it's out, or will ATC clear you into these areas?

If traffic permits and there's not a game in progress, that may be
available - certainly the Bay Bridge.

ATC have worked hard to make VFR flight in the ADIZ as painless as possible.
Just don't do anything boneheaded (like fly over the stadium during a game
or make a beeline for the Washington Monument) and you should be fine. The
process is really simple:

1. File an exit/entry ADIZ plan with FSS. If you're planning on departing
FME for a pleasure flight outside the ADIZ, be sure to file a separate ADIZ
plan for re-entry or land outside the ADIZ to file one.

2. Contact ATC prior to departure to receive squawk code and frequency.
This is "activating" or "opening" your flight plan, *not* receiving a
clearance.

3. Contact ATC after departure. All you need to hear from ATC is "N123,
roger". No need for "radar contact". No need for "cleared into ADIZ".
Just two-way communications.

4. Upon exiting the ADIZ, ATC should come back with "N123, you're outside
the ADIZ, squawk VFR, frequency change approved." If you *know* you're 3-5
miles outside the ADIZ and haven't heard this, go ahead and squawk VFR. The
code you're given by Potomac TRACON is likely a local code only and, as
such, will not be valid outside their airspace.

5. ATC may provide VFR flight following. Many controllers seem to
"volunteer" the service since you're on their frequency, anyway. If you're
planning on flightseeing inside the ADIZ, just be prepared to inform ATC of
your intentions.

6. Enjoy the flight! We need more pilots refusing to be intimidated by this
airspace while the alphabet soups of associations continue working to remove
the restrictions. Just stay away from the FRZ and follow these simple
rules.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 8th 03, 12:24 AM
Teacherjh

6. Enjoy the flight! We need more pilots refusing to be intimidated by this
airspace

I agree. Recently I've flown in there several times, IFR to ensure that I
don't bungle anything. More recently I went in VFR, 1500 feet above the
treetops. Approaching the ADIZ they could not find my flight plan, and I
eventually started slowing down to avoid premature penetration, but they
eventually got it sorted out and cleared me in. Once in, no problem; just flew
direct to my destination (Gaithersberg) and parked.

There was some issue with another plane that had gotten two different squawk
codes, and they were talking about scrambling jets to intercept, but I don't
know what came of that. I didn't read anything in the papers.

Flying out I just got a squawk code, departed with it and contacted ATC when
airborne. They asked me to relay to the Gaithersberg FBO about whether another
aircraft had in fact landed safely, but that was it.

Jose

Old November 8th 03, 06:17 PM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

Thanks, so in the end it's mostly filing a flight plan and useing
flight following.
Last question, you say you don't have to actually open the flight
plan. Just call FSS or Clearance, then establish two-way communication.
Can I call APP/DEP control on the ground to get my squak code? Unlike IFR
there appear to be no VOID times or limits, and you do not actually
recieve a clearance as when departing a class C/B airport. You just are
assigned a squak and and then maintain two-way communication.

So it's not as bad as I thought. I fly from a class D airport with
CLR uner a class B. And normally depart class C airports and use
flight following; so I'm not expecting any problems.
And I'm sure the local FBO's CFI will give a quick rundown on
procedures as well.

Thanks again for the help guys. Read all the AOPA info as well. Glas
I finaly broke down and got a cell phone (unrelated to flying)
Old November 10th 03, 10:25 PM
Marco Leon

You wouldn't happen to fly a Mooney, would you???

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 03, 10:36 PM
Ron Patterson

Vejita,

'Vejita' S. Cousin wrote:
Thanks, so in the end it's mostly filing a flight plan and useing
flight following.

Be careful - I don't think you have it yet. This is an ADIZ flight plan,
not a VFR flight plan that you would normally open in the air with FSS.
When you file it for inbound flight into the ADIZ, all they care about
is what fix/vor/airport outside the ADIZ you are going to be calling
Patomac approach from, and where you will be landing inside the ADIZ.
Outbound, the flight plan will be the departure airport and a single
point outside the ADIZ -thats it.

Last question, you say you don't have to actually open the flight
plan. Just call FSS or Clearance, then establish two-way communication.
Can I call APP/DEP control on the ground to get my squak code?

Don't confuse the ADIZ flight plan with a normal (search and rescue) VFR
flight plan - they are completely different.

I file my ADIZ flight plan with FSS via phone. In the plane on the
ground I call Patomac clearence to get a code before departure. In the
air you will call patomac approach to establish radio contact. If you
squawk 1200 in the ADIZ, you will be escorted to the nearest airport by
blackhawk helocopters almost immediately. Biggest thing I can tell you -
never squawk 1200 in the ADIZ - you become a big fat bullseye that
sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old November 11th 03, 02:22 AM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article ,
Marco Leon mleon(at)optonline.net wrote:
You wouldn't happen to fly a Mooney, would you???

No, renter only (BFI - Aeroflight), still a student at the UW. I'm
planning to rent a C172 from FME just to take family members up during the
Xmas break.
So file an ADIZ flight plan, open it, contact ATC, two-way radio, land,
close flight plan. Doens't sound nearly as bad as I thought.