Navy Connie squadrons (unique)

Old March 19th 17, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Navy Connie squadrons (unique)

On Sunday, May 3, 1998 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jjjg4 wrote:
I've got several questions on some squadrons and/or units of the Navy that
operated 121's, R7V's, Connie's.
The first is a squadron know as MATRON-2, I have seen a picture of a R7V-1
(131659) with "MATRON-2" painted on the fuselage, tail code RW, the photo was
taken in 1956.
I would like to try and find out what was the Navy's V designator for a MATRON,
i.e would it have been VM-2, also what was its mission, purpose, etc, etc. Any
history on that and any other MATRON's (if there were any others)?
The second is know as AIR BARRIER SQUADRON-2, and as in the above question
what was the V designator for that type of squadron, V__2. A picture shows a
Air Barrier squadron 2, EC-121K , landing at Barbers Point in 1965, tail code
SH. What was that squadrons mission, purpose, etc, etc. Any history on those
would be great to?

The reason I ask these questions is that all material I have found only writes
about the VR's, VW's, VQ's, and some "one of's" like VP-31, VT-86, and VAQ-33,
that have flown connie's, 121's, R7V's. I have only found "very" brief
information on the above questioned squadrons.
Thanks for any help.

Jim

MATRON 2 WAS A MAINTANENCE AND TRAINING SQUADRON AT BARBERS POINT T.H.