US Navy veteran ordered to remove American flag wrap from mailbox

Old August 4th 17, 10:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval, sci.military.naval, us.military.navy,fl.politics, sac.politics
HOA Thuggery

Default US Navy veteran ordered to remove American flag wrap from mailbox

A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a
dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners
association in Florida.

Retired U.S. Navy Officer John Ackert says he received a letter
last week from the Southwood Residential Community Associate in
Tallahassee that asked him to remove the wrapping of Old Glory
around the mailbox or face penalties.

He told WCTV he's not backing down without a fight and has made
an appeal.

“I view this as a form of bullying to be honest,” Ackert said.
“And I think people should stand up to bullying of any form, and
particularly this.”

Ackert said the H.O.A claimed his mailbox was not “in
consonance” with the aesthetic values of Southwood.

“As the holiday season comes to a close, please remove the
American flag mailbox wrap,” the letter read. “Decoration may be
displayed 30 days prior and must be taken down 15 days after.”

He said the wrap has been up for four years.

“It was put there 30 days after I moved into this house.”

Messages to the Southwood Residential Community Association were
not immediately returned Thursday morning.

Some of Ackert’s neighbors told WCTV the letter was a bit harsh
and said they were not entirely surprised by the H.O.A’s actions.

“They do things like this all the time,” Mike Stephenson said.
“I think it’s ridiculous. What’s wrong with being patriotic in
the country you live in?”

Mike Patel said: “The man’s a veteran, he served the country.
It’s just a mailbox with a flag. I don’t think it’s right. He
owns the house, he can at least have that.”

The H.O.A. letter says Ackert has 15 days to remove the wrap or
face a fine. He has not received a response to his appeal.

Lucia I. Suarez Sang is a Reporter for FoxNews.com.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/03...an-ordered-to-
remove-american-flag-wrap-from-mailbox.html

Old August 4th 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.navy,fl.politics,sac.politics
george152

On 8/4/2017 9:21 PM, HOA Thuggery wrote:
A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a
dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners
association in Florida.

Retired U.S. Navy Officer John Ackert says he received a letter
last week from the Southwood Residential Community Associate in
Tallahassee that asked him to remove the wrapping of Old Glory
around the mailbox or face penalties.

Easy way to do it.
Every-one in the 'community' puts American flags on their mailboxes.

---