ILS Critical Area signage: Localizer or Glideslope?

Old October 30th 03, 03:02 AM
Adam K.

Default ILS Critical Area signage: Localizer or Glideslope?

Hi,

Does the ILS Critical Area sign apply to the localizer or the
glideslope antenna? Or is this is a dumb question?

CCR (Concord California) 19R has a localizer approach. No glideslope.
It has an ILS Critical Area sign. I read recently that ILS
equipped fields require the ILS critical area sign for the ground
based Glideslope antenna. Apparently, a portion of the glideslope
signal is bounced onto the ground, thus the requirement of not parking
a vehicle in that area.

AK (with too much taxi time)
Old October 30th 03, 03:04 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Adam K." wrote in message
om...

Does the ILS Critical Area sign apply to the localizer or the
glideslope antenna?

It can be either.

Old October 30th 03, 10:29 PM
Phoenix Pilot

Ok, since we're on the subject I have a question regarding this.

We are all familiar with the ILS Critical Area signage on the
taxiways, requiring you to hold short of that line to keep from
interfering with the ILS signals (glideslope or localizer).

I have always been under the impression that when you see those lines
you don't cross until your given permission too (cleared onto the
runway, etc.) However I'm currently working on my CFII right now, and
my flight instructor the other day told me that those areas are not
always active and you don't always have to hold short of them. He
wasn't real clear on where or how you'd find out when the area was
"hot" or not, which leads me to question whether that is true or not.

Anyone know a defintive answer on this?
Old October 30th 03, 11:09 PM
Garner Miller

In article , Phoenix
Pilot wrote:

I have always been under the impression that when you see those lines
you don't cross until your given permission too (cleared onto the
runway, etc.) However I'm currently working on my CFII right now, and
my flight instructor the other day told me that those areas are not
always active and you don't always have to hold short of them.

Your CFI is right. It's the controller's job to protect the critical
area if the weather is low enough (under 800 & 2) to warrant it. If
you need to remain clear of the critical area, the tower will instruct
you to do so. Absent any instruction to remain clear of the critical
area, you're expected to go all the way to the hold short line.

A quick search yielded, among other things, this document:

http://www.rduafss.faa.gov/navaids/ils.htm

Section K has the details on the critical area.

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI