more radial fans like fw190?

Old August 17th 04, 09:17 AM
jt

Default more radial fans like fw190?

The fw190 had a relatively compact, streamlined housing
for its radial engine, apparently due to an extra fan
at the cooling air intake. If this was so successful
why hasn't it been done more often? I may have noticed
that in more recent aerobatic models from east europe...
Old August 19th 04, 02:36 PM
The Enlightenment

"frank may" wrote in message
om...
I think the Sea Fury & some other tightly cowled Centaurus powered a/c
used fans. Didn't the Constellation use fans too?

I think the FW 190 installation was well studied. It was excellent. A few
of the Typhoon/Tempest dervatives also used Germanic style radiators a'la
FW190D series and also achieved a speed improvement.

The 490mph XP72 which was a P47 derivative had a fan.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/xp72.html

(Stephen "FPilot" Bierce) wrote in message

(jt) wrote:

The fw190 had a relatively compact, streamlined housing
for its radial engine, apparently due to an extra fan
at the cooling air intake. If this was so successful
why hasn't it been done more often? I may have noticed
that in more recent aerobatic models from east europe...

The Skyraider also had the extra cooling fans, IIRC. But most of the

radial
engine applications after the war were for transport planes (which could

afford
to have larger cowlings), cropdusters (which could go without cowls) and

some
helicopters (which had different cooling systems).

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922
{Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Old August 19th 04, 03:35 PM
Jukka O. Kauppinen

The radial on the FW 190 was built on license from Pratt & Whitney.

No.

FW had built Pratt and Whitney engines under license in the earlier
1930s but BMW 139 and the latter BMW 801 used in the FW 190s were BMW's
own designs, not licensed.

Cross licensed were not that uncommon, though. Both sides used things
lisenced from the other and after the war paid the licensed in full.
Allies to Germany, as well as Germany to Britain and US.

Though I'm not sure if Soviets ever paid for their licenses or copies...

jok
Old August 20th 04, 06:26 AM
Geoffrey Sinclair

The Enlightenment wrote in message ...

I think the FW 190 installation was well studied. It was excellent. A few
of the Typhoon/Tempest dervatives also used Germanic style radiators a'la
FW190D series and also achieved a speed improvement.

The Typhoon always used the chin radiator. It first flew about
9 months after the Fw190

The Typhoon "derivative", the Tempest used wing radiators in the
mark I, the fastest, a radial engine in the mark II, a chin radiator
in the mark V and a combination of chin and wing radiators for the
mark VI.

The Fury, the Tempest "derivative" used a radial engine.
Hawkers had a good look at the FW190 before the Fury
was designed.

Nothing like the radiator arrangement used in the FW190D series.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.

Old August 20th 04, 01:10 PM
The Enlightenment

"Geoffrey Sinclair" wrote in message
The Enlightenment wrote in message

I think the FW 190 installation was well studied. It was excellent. A

few
of the Typhoon/Tempest dervatives also used Germanic style radiators a'la
FW190D series and also achieved a speed improvement.

The Typhoon always used the chin radiator. It first flew about
9 months after the Fw190

The Typhoon "derivative", the Tempest used wing radiators in the
mark I, the fastest, a radial engine in the mark II, a chin radiator
in the mark V and a combination of chin and wing radiators for the
mark VI.

The Fury, the Tempest "derivative" used a radial engine.
Hawkers had a good look at the FW190 before the Fury
was designed.

Nothing like the radiator arrangement used in the FW190D series.

After the war Tempests were built, flown and tested with Germanic anular
radiators. This gave about a 20mph speed advantage over the chin
installation with the same sabre engine.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.

Old August 20th 04, 04:43 PM
frank may

I'm pretty sure there's aphoto in one of Wm. Green's books showing a
test version of the Typhoon using an annular radiator.