Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 8th 04, 03:49 PM
Clay

For every 6 pounds of weight loss you can add one more gallon of fuel
to your aircraft.

UltraJohn wrote in message hlink.net...
Sure it's called liposuction ;-)
John

Resting HR 38
Cholesterol 166
Normal blood pressure
49 years
run on average 75 miles a week
STILL HAD 98% BLOCKED CORINARY ARTERY!
One year anniversary tommorrow of having angioplasty and road back!
Hope to have medical back in another month!
John

Matt Whiting wrote:

The safest and easiest gross take-off weight you could possibly get
rid of is the ugly fat around your gut.

I agree with safest, but I'm not sure about easiest! :-)

Matt

Old July 8th 04, 05:36 PM

Hmm, eat the right foods in moderation, don't snack on sugar filled
junk, don't drink carbonated sugar water (soda), excersize and you
will weigh what you should weigh for your height. This is news?

I remember a doctor being interviewed on 60 Minutes some five years
ago, he was a cardiologist and had studied obesity and obese people
and their eating/ excersize habits. He thought he knew how most
overweight people got that way. His radical revelation was that obese
people just ate too much, ate the wrong stuff and didn't excersize
enough. He shrugged, said "sorry, but it's really that simple." He
added that the percentage of folks who actually had some sort of
glandular problem causing them to be overweight was so miniscule, it
could hardly be tabulated.

Corky Scott

Old July 8th 04, 09:17 PM
Rich S.

wrote in message
Hmm, eat the right foods in moderation, don't snack on sugar filled
junk, don't drink carbonated sugar water (soda), excersize and you
will weigh what you should weigh for your height. This is news?

I remember a doctor being interviewed on 60 Minutes some five years
ago, he was a cardiologist and had studied obesity and obese people
and their eating/ excersize habits. He thought he knew how most
overweight people got that way. His radical revelation was that obese
people just ate too much, ate the wrong stuff and didn't excersize
enough. He shrugged, said "sorry, but it's really that simple." He
added that the percentage of folks who actually had some sort of
glandular problem causing them to be overweight was so miniscule, it
could hardly be tabulated.

Hmm.......... Perhaps it is him who is simple. Or outdated. I suggest
reading recent literature on gene effects of obesity. There is a good
layman's article in (IIRC) Reader's Digest last month on this subject. It is
more complicated than simply lack of will power or eating habits.

Rich "It ain't my fault!" S.
)

Old July 8th 04, 09:46 PM
bryan chaisone

This reminds me of my younger years, maybe sixth or seventh grade.
There were five or six of us friends in or click. We had BMX bikes
that we would ride after school and tinker with them as often as we
could. One of the boys was a "rich kid". He had all the after market
parts on his bike to get it as light as possible. I worked three
paper routes to pay for mine. He would always make fun of my cheap
Huffy while he had a Mongoose (very expensive at the time) with all
the add-ons and lighter after market replacement parts. I could
always outride hime though. I had the benefit of NOT having access to
all the Ho Hos and Twinkies one could eat. To cut it short, the
combined (gross) weight of my light body and my heavy bike was much
lighter than his heavier body and his lighter bike. I also peddled
that bike every morning delivering two paper routes before school
(Washington Post) and one paper route after school (Washington Star),
which kept me fit. Wish I was fit now. I'm about forty five lbs over
right now.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

(JSoar) wrote in message . com...
Good topic. I have heard a rule of thumb for airplanes is that every
15 pounds is worth one horse power. So if you can knock 60 pounds off
your plane's gross take-off weight it would be like adding 4 hp, a
good percentage increase for an ultralight.

The safest and easiest gross take-off weight you could possibly get
rid of is the ugly fat around your gut.

I weighed 220 pounds many years ago and thought it was mostly muscle.
Now I weigh an average of 165 pounds, and that muscle turned out to be
useless fat. I ride a bike 3 or 4 times a week for at least an hour,
or walk about the same in the winter. I watch very carefully what I
eat. Just enough protein, like a little bit of fish, no red meat, and
a lot of vegetables, fruit, cereal grains. No junk foods, candy, ice
cream, soda, etc.

It was easy, the exercise habit replaced the snacking habit. Now I
have to eat more than I really want in the summer to not get too
skinny. My blood pressure is way down and my resting heart rate is in
the 40's.

A word to the wise,
Jerry Booker

Old July 9th 04, 12:14 AM
Matt Whiting

Rich S. wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

So you are saying that our genetics have changed dramatically in the
last 40 years? I don't buy it. Our rate of obesity has increased
dramatically in the lat 40 years, but I don't think we've mutated all
that much genetically. Then again, I'm not a geneticist... :-)

Matt

Old July 9th 04, 12:17 AM
Matt Whiting

bryan chaisone wrote:

[...]

Well, Bryan, might want to try the bike approach again. I just bought
two new bikes for me and my wife ... and I can now afford GOOD bikes,
which I couldn't when I was young just as you couldn't. I bought two
top of the line Fuji comfort bikes. Riding is actually just as much fun
now as it was then. I get saddle sore much faster, but I rode a 30 mile
ride last Saturday in the hills of northern PA and it didn't kill me.
Although, I thought a couple of times that my heart was going to pop out
of my chest and run away... :-)

Matt

Old July 9th 04, 01:18 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:17:31 -0700, Rich S. wrote:

layman's article in (IIRC) Reader's Digest last month on this subject. It is
more complicated than simply lack of will power or eating habits.

I don't think it's that complex. I heard on the radio today that
basically 2/3's of the population is overweight. Now there can't be that
many genetic/medical problems because it doesn't occur in a lot of other
countries.

I'll give you a personal example. As of Jan 1 2004 I weighed 215 lbs and
had a blood pressure that was around 138/88 and as of this date I weigh
168 lbs with a blood pressure of 112/72 on average. Want to know my
secret, it wasn't some fancy diet or medicine or genetic modification to
fix natures mistake. I cut out the sweets during the day and stopped
drinking soda like I had been.

I did a quick off hand calculation of my caloric intake then and now.
That gave me a daily total of around 3500 to 4000 calories each
and every day, then.

I now eat the serving sizes suggested and for dinner I try to limit my
deserts to one slice of cake if I have it, and try to end up with a total
intake of around around 1800 - 2000 calories each day.

I just had a physical done last Friday and for the most part I'm in good
health even though I still have a higher cholesterol level of around 225.
My ratio of good to bad is excellent and in fact it's better than average
so the doctor doesn't seem overly concerned about it, but he would like to
see it lower if I can do it. Of that I'm not sure how because I'm not
eating foods that would make it high. He did talk about overweight
problems in general being due to over eating and the way I fixed it was
how it should be done. PS, my so called diet was started under advice of
the medical profession, a dietitian suggested a simple balanced meal and
it worked.

Watch the people around you the next time you eat out. I'll bet you see
them overeat by a HUGE amount. Go to KFC, Hardee's, McDonals, etc. and
watch. You'll see the majority of people consume over 1000 calories at
one sitting, imagine them doing the same for 2 more meals. Now you'll see
why eating is why we're overweight as a nation.

That is the meat of the problem if you ask me and my observations confirm
it. Yes, some people have a real problem and can't help it, that's what
the RD article suggested. It didn't say 66 percent of our population had
real medical problems. That figure came from a CBS radio broadcast today
on obesity in our nation, take it for what it's worth because it came from
CBS.

Calories are calories regardless of where they come from and if you
have too many you're going to gain weight, it's that simple.

The war is not yet won. Although I have lost all the weight I intend on,
now I must maintain it and I fear that's the hardest part to come. I feel
better now than I did at the beginning of the year and my knees hurt less,
so I figure I did a good thing by curbing my desire for sweets which is
where most of calories came from.