Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 10th 04, 04:27 AM
Jean-Paul Roy

And to think we were supposed to talk about ****in airplane
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:18:27 -0500, "Matthew P. Cummings"
wrote:

Watch the people around you the next time you eat out. I'll bet you see
them overeat by a HUGE amount. Go to KFC, Hardee's, McDonals, etc. and
watch. You'll see the majority of people consume over 1000 calories at
one sitting, imagine them doing the same for 2 more meals. Now you'll

see
why eating is why we're overweight as a nation.

In the film "Supersize me", director Morgan Spurlock spends just one
month eating at McDonalds *ONLY*, to see what would happen. He got
this bright idea after listening to McDonalds tout their food as being
healthy.

Doctors he consulted thought that he could not damage himself in only
30 days, they were nearly mistaken. The stipulations were that he
would have to accept the suggestion to "supersize" the meal or portion
of the meal if suggested by the counter attendant, and try every
single item on the menu at some point.

Here's a blurb from a review: "Spurlock starts out the picture of
health, a strapping 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds. Three doctors and a
nutritionist, who reappear throughout, examine him and attest to his
well being. But within a few days he's vomiting out of the window of
his car. And it's downhill from there. Spurlock's body goes through a
general deterioration that surprises even his doctors in its rapidity.
(His girlfriend, a vegan chef, is beside herself.) Gaining weight is
just the outward sign: His liver becomes toxic, his cholesterol
skyrockets, his libido sags, he gets headaches and becomes depressed."

After 30 days, he had gained 25 lbs and was suffering from abnormal
liver functions. He had to detox on a strict Vegan diet to loose the
weight and regain normal liver functions. While he was eating at
McDonalds only, he was consuming 5,000 calories a day, or more. By
the end of the month, he'd consumed as many calories as most
nutritionists recommend people eat in 8 years.

McDonalds of course, was unhappy with the film.

Corky Scott

Sorry, Corky, but I don't buy this story even though I've read about it
before. I have no idea what else this guy may have done during the
month, but it is clear he was out to make Micky D look bad so he may
have been taking all sorts of drugs to make him have the problems he
had. And 5,000 calories a day for 30 days is 150,000 calories according
to my calculator. Eight years is 2,920 days, not counting leap years.
150,000 calories over 8 years is 51.4 calories per day. I don't want
any association with any nutritionist who would recommend that!

This story just doesn't pass the smell test. I ate almost exclusively
at McDonalds for three months when I was in college back in the 70s and
had to spend a semester in a motel with no cooking facilities. I didn't
gain a bit of weight and had no health problems at all.

Matt

Old July 10th 04, 04:29 AM
Jean-Paul Roy

And to think we were supposed to talk about ****in airplane
"bryan chaisone" wrote in message
om...
That's a great idea Matt! I have a mountain bike and a bike trail
that runs right by my back yard. I just haven't taken advantage of
those two facts. My brother bought the bike for me, and so far I've
only ridden it to the pool with my two girls, which is only about half
a mile. My girls would swim and I would just take a nap on the pool
lounger. How patheic.

I used to ride, senior year high school about twenty years ago, from
Herndon, VA to DC, lock up the bike, have lunch somewhere or see the
museums and ride back. about fifty miles round trip. I sure miss
those days. The weather is nice right now. I outta here, gonna ride
down the trail a little.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Matt Whiting wrote in message
Well, Bryan, might want to try the bike approach again. I just bought
two new bikes for me and my wife ... and I can now afford GOOD bikes,
which I couldn't when I was young just as you couldn't. I bought two
top of the line Fuji comfort bikes. Riding is actually just as much fun
now as it was then. I get saddle sore much faster, but I rode a 30 mile
ride last Saturday in the hills of northern PA and it didn't kill me.
Although, I thought a couple of times that my heart was going to pop out
of my chest and run away... :-)

Matt

Old July 10th 04, 04:41 AM
Ben Haas

(Badwater Bill) wrote in message .. .
Jess uses AOL and can't post to the ng easily. He can, however, read
the posts. He just wrote this to me over email and asked that I pass
it on to this group.

Subject: Letter to Corky Scott

Bill, a letter I sent to Corky this evening

----Jess

Mr. Scott, my name is Jess Meyers of Belted Air. I understand all of
the trashing both ways. We bought the project from Glenn Smith and
Bill was flying it. Our insurance could not afford two pilots at the
time. Bill's valid points were taken, corrections made, and a long
test period was carried out. We did have sprockets that were broached
improperly, the units recalled. At the same time Gates belt factory
had traced problems, if you can believe this, to people sweating or
infusing a saline solution into the belt matrix. We have since
switched manufacturer's.

Mr. Phillips is one of a kind, and I'll be the first to admit that I
have questioned a lot of his judgment. We are still out on some things
but all in all he is an honest person. You don't have to guess where
you are with him. Please don't get upset with some of his rantings.
His wife did a very good job of photography for the Kitplanes article,
and when the air to air shoot was scheduled for the article his father
passed away and it became unavailable.

Mr. J.Muretta did what I would call a overview article. Not wanting to
carry on but if you or your friends are under 200 lbs and want to fly
in the plane we offer to have you bring your own GPS and come fly with
us anytime so you may draw your own conclusions.

Jess Meyers
Belted Air Power

Jess, Tom and Bill are three of the most honest guys in the Homebuild
business. I am running one of their redrives on my Zenith 801 and
putting about twice the power through it they intended it to take. I
did have a few quirks in the early going but the PSRU is well designed
and bulletproof. I would not hesitate to use another one in a new york
minute.

Ben Haas N801BH.
Old July 10th 04, 05:06 AM
Ernest Christley

Jean-Paul Roy wrote:
And to think we were supposed to talk about ****in airplane

Dude, you need to subscribe to rec.aviation.fetish for that conversation.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old July 10th 04, 05:09 AM
Jerry Springer

If you don't think this topic is revelent to pilots and airplanes yo have a
F***ing lot to learn.

Old July 10th 04, 06:16 AM
Richard Isakson

"Jerry Springer" wrote ...
If you don't think this topic is revelent to pilots and airplanes yo have

F***ing lot to learn.

I wish you guys would stop talking about this. You're making me feel guilty
about this absolutely delicious piece of apple pie.

Rich

Old July 10th 04, 06:22 AM
Jerry Springer

Richard Isakson wrote:
"Jerry Springer" wrote ...

If you don't think this topic is revelent to pilots and airplanes yo have

F***ing lot to learn.

I wish you guys would stop talking about this. You're making me feel guilty
about this absolutely delicious piece of apple pie.

Rich

Hi Rich,
Missed you at Arlington this year.

Jerry

Old July 10th 04, 06:36 AM
Richard Isakson

"Jerry Springer" wrote ...
Hi Rich,
Missed you at Arlington this year.

My truck's broke. The timing chain finally gave up at 300,000 miles.( Ford
F150, 351M engine) I'm having so much fun.

Rich

Old July 10th 04, 06:42 AM
Ray Audette

" Not only in research, but also in the everyday world of politics and
economics, we would all be better off if more people realized that simple
nonlinear systems do not nececessarily posses simple dynamical properties."
Biologist Robert Mays from his "messianic" paper in Nature (
1976) "The Mathmatical Intuition"

Thus greenhouse warming may produce another ice age rather than a warmer
climate ( according to many scientists the more likely senario) and women
who consume more calories weigh less than women who practice calorie
reduction (according to the 125,000 women studied by Harvard). Likewise,
calorie burning exercise has been shown to have no effect on weight. Long
term studies of low calorie diet plans show a success rate of 2% ( the same
2% that become anorexix or bulemic on such programs). The average person on
such a program actually gained 15% after two years in these studies.

That so many "weight loss experts" show such innumeracy ( and refuse to
accept my chalange to a swim suit competition) means a great opportunity for
a class action lawsuit similar to the one won by the FTC against the false
claims made by leading calorie reductions plans. Although this legal action
only resulted in these companies adding small print disclaimers to their ads
( results not typical, etc ), I feel feel billions of dollars are still on
the table.

In a resent study adolesent offered an unlimmited buffet ate 30% fewer
calories when offered a high fat selection than a low fat one. Nothing
produces saity faster than fat.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
www.NeanderThin.com