Funny Radio isums...

Old November 14th 03, 07:38 PM

Default Funny Radio isums...

I'm working my way through my IFR training...
Today on the radio "79V switch to 134.0"

Where I dial in 134.0 on the toggle freq acknolege the request
switch to COM2 (Meant to hit toggle)
Annonced that I was checking in....
At which point ground control (from where I'd left 15 min ago)
tells me they don't know why I'm calling..... with laughter.

I realise that this in only slightly funny, but makes me wonder
what is the funnyist thing you have ever heard on the radio?

Paul

Old November 15th 03, 01:04 AM
vincent p. norris

what is the funnyist thing you have ever heard on the radio?

Fifteen or more years ago, Clearance Delivery at DCA rattled off at
high speed a lengthy clearance with several turns, altitudes and
fixes.

After a pause, a voice came on in a Texas drawl and said,

"Now, why don't y'all jus say all that again, real slow, as if it
mattered."

There was funny one on the net not long ago. An airliner pilot took a
wrong turn on a taxiway. A female ground controller read the riot act
to him. Chewed him out good.

All was quiet on the freq till a male voice came on, "Say, wasn't I
married to you once?"

vince norris
Old November 18th 03, 12:48 AM
Roger Halstead

On 14 Nov 2003 17:36:33 -0800, (Snowbird)
wrote:

wrote in message . ..

I realise that this in only slightly funny, but makes me wonder
what is the funnyist thing you have ever heard on the radio?

My personal funniest malapropism to date was one time when
the Tower asked if I had my landing light turned on. I
replied I had everything turned on, then realized what I'd
said by the gale of backround laughter over the controller's
dry "roger".

Guyzzzz!

The funniest thing I heard was one time when I was getting
some kind of feedback squeal in my radios. I asked
"ground, do you hear an annoying squeal during my transmissions?"
Without missing a beat, the (male) controller shot back
"no ma'am, that individual just went downstairs"

Some years back... 94, 95...some where in there, my wife and I flew
the Deb out to visit my daughter in Boulder Colorado. Our Destination
was to be Jefco (BJC). My apologies to those of you who have read
this story a dozen times already.

To say the weather was "el-stinko" would be an understatement. They
had tower Q over the mountains, but unfortunately they had slid off
into the Boulder, Denver, and parts east areas. We were expecting to
find nice weather with the storms over the mountains.

A half hour after we passed Lyman they had a Tornado.

At first there were these huge towering Q, but as we neared Arapaho it
began to get hazy. (I don't think that VOR is there any more).

At this point I was talking to Denver app. They cleared me to BJC,
but it was difficult to hear as we were just about getting the snot
beat out of us. That was probably the roughest ride I've had (of any
distance). I kept hearing, "Thirty Three Romeo, .... ..... cleared
direct BJC" and I'd readback" Thirty Three Romeo cleared direct BJC".
The controller would come back with , "Negative! That was Thirty Three
Romeo...Cleared.... .... direct BJC".

This exchange was repeated at least 3 or 4 times as I recall with the
controller finally saying "one_more_time_ Thirty Three Romeo
pauseClearedpause directpause Arapahopause directpause BJC",
which I repeated. I'm sure I could hear some cheering in the
background. But those guys knew what all of us out there were having
to contend with. There was some really bad weather and we all wanted
to get on the ground and the controllers were doing their best to get
us there and our destinations at the same time.
It was a case of the weather being far worse and far sooner than
forecast.

About one minute later he came back and gave us "OK, this time
Debonair Eight Thirty Three Romeo, cleared direct BJC", which took us
right over the south end of Stapleton(sp?).

We didn't get caught in any hail, but it took out the copilots wind
screen on a Beech 1900 departing Stapleton (sp?), Splintered roofs in
Boulder, totaled out a couple of new car lots, and thoroughly trashed
what had been a really nice Seneca (which was in the air). I'm not
sure how it flew, but there wasn't much left that looked like an
airfoil.

As we were driving out of the parking lot at the FBO located on the NW
side of Jefco I looked up to see a Cherokee spit out the side of this
big, black, towering Q. He was probably a bit more than being 90
degreeded. Fortunately he did get it straightened out.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Zingggg!

Cheers,
Sydney

Old November 18th 03, 06:17 PM
Everett M. Greene

Roger Halstead writes:

Some years back... 94, 95...some where in there, my wife and I flew
the Deb out to visit my daughter in Boulder Colorado. Our Destination
was to be Jefco (BJC). My apologies to those of you who have read
this story a dozen times already.

To say the weather was "el-stinko" would be an understatement. They
had tower Q over the mountains, but unfortunately they had slid off
into the Boulder, Denver, and parts east areas. We were expecting to
find nice weather with the storms over the mountains.

A half hour after we passed Lyman they had a Tornado.

July 1993. That's Limon, the Hub City of Eastern Colorado.
Old November 18th 03, 06:50 PM
Casey Wilson

At a military field a number of jets were in the pattern doing FMLPs ( I
think the acronym is correct but it isn't important. One of the pilots had
the annoying habit of blowing into his mike every time he keyed the
transmitter. After several trips around, the LSO had had enough....
"Dagger two-six," he called, "you've been blowing in my ear all
afternoon. If I meet you later at the O-Club, will you kiss me?"

Old November 18th 03, 07:53 PM
Robert Moore

"Casey Wilson" wrote

At a military field a number of jets were in the pattern
doing FMLPs

Field Carrier Landing Practice FCLP
Old November 16th 03, 09:18 AM
Jeff

the funniest thing I have heard was when we were shooting approaches
into LAS (las vegas international), a tomahawk came in and started doing
approaches also, when the tower gave the tomahawk instructions, an
airliner called tower and said "tomahawk, chop chop"
then said, "what kind of ground speed are you showing on that tomahawk"
tower said 100 kts, the airliner goes, 100 kts over the ground! Oh
boyyyyyy..

It was funnier being there and listening to it then telling it later.
but the tomahawk left right after that.