Flying with the kids

Old December 19th 03, 06:15 PM
Casey Wilson

Default Flying with the kids

Hello all, and Happy Holidays.

I'm not trying to resurrect the discussion about flying with the kids.
This is a request for contacts for collecting information for a magazine
article.
You can check my byline and the masthead in The Flying Life magazine to
see if I'm legit. I've been in the magazine with Jay Honeck.
If you care to post on the newsgroup, that's fine but in order to do the
article properly, I'd like to contact you via email and/or telephone. Here
is my email address:

....but you need to extract BAD for it to work.

I'd like to hear from folks who travel with youngsters -- any age from
infant to late teens or even still in the hangar. Where do you go? How do
you pack? How long are the legs? Who sits where? How do you entertain, or do
you have to? What's the age of the youngest you've taken? Oldest? Mostest?
What do you think is the best ear protection? What's your idea on car seats
or other safety restraints? Tell about your worst experience. Tell about
your best experience. Name your favorite destination with the kids.

Sincerely,

Casey Wilson
Freelance Writer and Photographer

Old December 20th 03, 08:41 PM
Jay Honeck

You can check my byline and the masthead in The Flying Life magazine
see if I'm legit. I've been in the magazine with Jay Honeck.

Boy, now THERE is some questionable company... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 03, 10:15 PM
Casey Wilson

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You can check my byline and the masthead in The Flying Life magazine

see if I'm legit. I've been in the magazine with Jay Honeck.

Boy, now THERE is some questionable company... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck

Maybe that explains the VERY slow response I've gotten....

Casey

Old December 20th 03, 10:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, I think it's probably got more to do with the season -- everyone is up
to their butts in family and events -- and the fact that most pilots just
don't fly with kids.

Mary and I are true oddities at our airport, in that we fly with the kids
every weekend. Most folks we see are flying alone -- which always saddens
me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 03, 01:09 AM
Casey Wilson

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Well, I think it's probably got more to do with the season -- everyone is

up
to their butts in family and events -- and the fact that most pilots just
don't fly with kids.

Mary and I are true oddities at our airport, in that we fly with the kids
every weekend. Most folks we see are flying alone -- which always saddens
me.

What's the ages of your kids, Jay?

Back in the dark ages of the seventies, I took the kids for rides as
often as they were available. Which meant between and around swim and
gymnastics meets, soccer and baseball, girls (and boys), scouting, yadda,
yadda.

Casey

Old December 21st 03, 02:41 AM
Jay Honeck

What's the ages of your kids, Jay?

10 and 13. We fly with them every Sunday afternoon, weather-permitting.
Hoping to "do" Janesville, WI for brunch tomorrow! :-)

Back in the dark ages of the seventies, I took the kids for rides as
often as they were available.

They've both got logbooks, and 8 - 10 hours of "right seat" time...

Better stay on their good side, so they will take me flying in my dotage...
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 03, 03:48 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

Well Casey, I'm still a student, so I can't take anyone -- least of all my
3-year-old -- flying just yet. But my club has a PC-based simulator set up,
which he loves. I was flying an approach on the sim one day, and I guess he
wanted dad to let him "fly" for a change. Suddenly, about 1000 feet prior
to crossing the threshold, my simulated engine quit. It didn't take much
troubleshooting to figure out why. My cute little boy was standing there
with his hand on the sim's mixture control, and he had quite a grin on his
face.

I don't know how he knew which knob to pull on. I don't even know if he was
aware of what he was doing. But I do know that after this incident, it is
going to be several years before he makes it into the front seat of any
airplane I'm flying. Until I'm dead-on certain that he won't touch
anything, he's sitting in the back!

By the way, I do recall reading an ASRS report written by a guy who put his
2-year-old in the right seat, and ended up having to fight him for control
of the yoke.

Old December 21st 03, 06:42 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Better stay on their good side, so they will take me flying in my dotage...

They probably won't be able to solo yet. :-)

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 21st 03, 11:20 PM
Andrew Gideon

Geoffrey Barnes wrote:

Suddenly, about 1000 feet prior
to crossing the threshold, my simulated engine quit. It didn't take much
troubleshooting to figure out why. My cute little boy was standing there
with his hand on the sim's mixture control, and he had quite a grin on his
face.

I was telling this story to my wife after our flight this weekend when the
truth suddenly hit me. Geoffrey...I'm sorry to say this, but you've raised
a CFI.

- Andrew

Old December 22nd 03, 05:29 AM
Rob Perkins

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:48:50 GMT, "Geoffrey Barnes"
wrote:

By the way, I do recall reading an ASRS report written by a guy who put his
2-year-old in the right seat, and ended up having to fight him for control
of the yoke.

A similar thing happened to *me*, when I looked down on my
base-to-final turn to find my daughter, 8 years old, grinning ear to
ear, with both hands on the right-seat-yoke.

She understood later that the ensuing shouting had more to do with
safety than anything else.

You can give 'em a briefing, and even repeat the landing stuff right
before the downwind entry, but doggonit sometimes kids just *don't*
listen.

Rob, noting the event hasn't at all diminished her desire to learn
flying