What's a CARF?

Old December 22nd 03, 06:04 AM
BTIZ

well... I've been there.. Sounds like your "ALTRV" is the low level route?

Now you know what I used to fly..

BT

"Newps" wrote in message

BTIZ wrote:

except for the initial departure, climb corridors, and arrival tracks..

that
were part of all of my ALTRVs... well.. actually I guess that was part

of
the IFR clearance.. with a control time at the "start ALTRV" point at
altitude.. once in the ALTRV, and on time, ATC no longer assumes
responsibility for separation within the ALTRV (MARSA).. ATC only keeps
those not on the ALTRV clear..

We see ALTRV all the time. B-1's and B-52's circle BIL all the time at
about 40 miles out at 25 AGL. We have to make sure aircraft are above
the bombers at 37 DME from the VOR, which isn't a problem because nobody
is ever that low that far from us. But we get traffic count to keep the
pay up.

Old December 22nd 03, 01:38 PM
Tony Cox

"BTIZ" wrote in message
Well, if you're among the piston-only crowd as most of us are, I think
you're very unlikely to encounter an ALTRV. I've never heard of one

over
land that was not in Class A airspace, and all of those that were at low
altitudes were far out to sea.

except for the initial departure, climb corridors, and arrival tracks..

that
were part of all of my ALTRVs... well.. actually I guess that was part of
the IFR clearance.. with a control time at the "start ALTRV" point at
altitude.. once in the ALTRV, and on time, ATC no longer assumes
responsibility for separation within the ALTRV (MARSA).. ATC only keeps
those not on the ALTRV clear..

but that was oh so long ago... LOL
BT

I'm a pretty conscientious fellow & have almost finished my IFR
training, but I've *never* heard of a CARF or come across
an ALTRV. Looks like there was something missing in my
training and/or my study.

So what am I supposed to *do* with this information? Does it
just mean that I, planning an IFR flight, should avoid filing
route segments that intrude on this volume? Does it have any
significance for me planning a VFR flight?

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old December 22nd 03, 02:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...

So what am I supposed to *do* with this information? Does it
just mean that I, planning an IFR flight, should avoid filing
route segments that intrude on this volume? Does it have any
significance for me planning a VFR flight?

There's really nothing for you to do with it. ATC will provide standard
separation between you and aircraft on an ALTRV. They'll do that by moving
you if need be, not the aircraft on the ALTRV.

Old December 22nd 03, 02:25 PM
Tony Cox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...

So what am I supposed to *do* with this information? Does it
just mean that I, planning an IFR flight, should avoid filing
route segments that intrude on this volume? Does it have any
significance for me planning a VFR flight?

There's really nothing for you to do with it. ATC will provide standard
separation between you and aircraft on an ALTRV. They'll do that by

moving
you if need be, not the aircraft on the ALTRV.

Which implies that I must be in contact with ATC if
I'm VFR. Is that the significance?

Old December 22nd 03, 02:47 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...

Which implies that I must be in contact with ATC if
I'm VFR. Is that the significance?

No. ATC will provide STANDARD separation between you and aircraft on an
ALTRV. ATC does not provide separation for VFR aircraft in airspace that
does not require radio contact with ATC.

Old December 22nd 03, 03:00 PM
Tony Cox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...

Which implies that I must be in contact with ATC if
I'm VFR. Is that the significance?

No. ATC will provide STANDARD separation between you and aircraft on an
ALTRV. ATC does not provide separation for VFR aircraft in airspace that
does not require radio contact with ATC.

So a CARF has no significance whatsoever, regardless
of whether I'm planning a VFR or an IFR flight. Which
of course begs the question: Why report a CARF on
a preflight briefing in the first place?

Old December 22nd 03, 03:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...

So a CARF has no significance whatsoever, regardless
of whether I'm planning a VFR or an IFR flight. Which
of course begs the question: Why report a CARF on
a preflight briefing in the first place?

I suppose it's because we live in a litigious society.