Most Challenging Instrument Approaches in Western US?

Old September 18th 03, 03:10 PM
Peter Gibbons

Robert Moore wrote in message .7...
(Peter Gibbons) wrote

(Lynne Miller) wrote
Yes, I've been to Aspen. I've been to Hong Kong. I've been to
Taipei. Been there done that, and it's just a normal approach
with some special issues.

Lynne - What exactly are your credentials (hours/ratings/etc)?

Everything.......:-) Copied from Google for your amusement.

snip

Thanks Robert - I actually found alot of that myself. Just wanted to
see if he'd set himself up again
Old September 19th 03, 02:00 AM
Robert M. Gary

Runway 33 at Kennedy. Requires an 18 degree rate of desent...

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/181561...s_33_large.jpg

Angus Davis wrote in message ...
I am curious to hear this group's thoughts on the most challenging
instrument approaches in the Western US. Perhaps this not the best way
to phrase the question, because I am planning a trip with a fellow
instrument student and our instructor around the Western US this winter,
similar to those organized by outfits such as IFR West. So, I am
looking for challenging approaches that will be a good learning
opportunity for the instrument student. I fly in the Bay Area, so I'm
no stranger to ATC. We will probably do the trip in an all-glass SR-20,
so no ADF. I consider "Western US" to be anything where radio stations
begin with a "K" Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
-angus

Old September 23rd 03, 01:06 AM
Rich Ahrens

Having live in Juneau for 6 years in a former life, I can say it's
got to be close to the worst conditions possible for flying. It's often
described as "landing in a fishbowl," since there's water on all sides,
and 3500' mountains within 5-10 miles on 3 sides, and within 20 miles on
the 4th side. I wasn't into private flying at the time, but did enough
missed approaches as a passenger in 737's to know it was a bitch. The
weather can move in there so even the commercial guys won't fly in for a
week or more.

snip
They call it "Engineer's cutoff" in Juneau, since they cut the trees off
the top of the hill to help forward visibility on short final. That's
how close the whole approach is.

As an illustration of Cory's description, here's a photo of the general
vicinity from several miles out on the extended centerline of RWY 8.
Engineer's Cutoff is in the foreground:

http://www.visi.com/~rma/jnu_approach/Image2.jpg

The actual approach course is off to the right in that photo, resulting in
the previously mentioned dogleg to final. Here's a shot pretty much on the
course, just before making that turn. Actually, we were a little to the
left and low. The resolution is poor, but you might be able to make out the
offset VASI (red on red in this shot...). It's more or less aligned with
the divided highway in distance.

http://www.visi.com/~rma/jnu_approach/Image4.jpg

Here's what short final looks like:

http://www.visi.com/~rma/jnu_approach/Image6.jpg

Nice prospect for a missed, huh?

Old September 23rd 03, 01:17 AM
Rich Ahrens

Ron Natalie wrote:
"Peter R." wrote in message

Not sure if it the one to which you refer but it does have similar
features:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/.../SUN_nd_gA.pdf

Not only is the plan flat (2700 above the runway), but the MAP is 5.3
miles away from the runway!

Ketchikan, AK, ILS/DME-1 RWY 11 is almost as interesting. No turns
permitted past 8 DME inbound. The MAP is 2.7 miles from the threshold.
Notes include "CAUTION: Do not permit full scale CDI deflection. Rising
terrain both sides of final approach. Strong winds may cause severe
turbulence. During VMC watch for opposing traffic on localizer course." And
"Any go-around commenced after passing the missed approach point will not
provide standard obstruction clearance."

Old September 28th 03, 09:25 AM
Aloft

The only challenging part of that approach is getting the shuttle gig in the
first place! :-)

om...