Don Brown and lat-long

Old September 29th 03, 03:24 AM
Snowbird

Dave Butler wrote in message ...
Casey Wilson wrote:
It just occurred to me that when I list a Radial/Distance point in
DUATS as part of a route, DUATS converts it to Lat/Lon. Maybe that's a hint
that Lat/Lon is preferred.

...to which snowbird replied:

Hmmmm...we use DUATS to file all the time, and have never observed this. Can
you give more details?

... and then paul k sanchez said:
snip
Here is the route that we file about 1 x week every monday morning.
Flight Plan FXE - LBE
ARKES PHK J53 CRG SSI090004 SVN270003 EDS270002 MMT CTF270019 CLT090020
GSO270019 PSK120028 ROA270001 LWB120020 EKN120018 MGW120013 IHD300006

Was it your intent to respond to Snowbird's request for for an example? I think
she was asking for an example of how "DUATS converts it to Lat/Lon" [for flight
plan filing purposes]. Its' true that in your example the radial/distance
entries are converted to lat/lon

Dave,

Exactly -- I was asking for an example of what Casey said he
saw, DUATS converting a VOR radial-distance to lat-long as
part of a flight plan.

We use DUATS to file GPS direct flight plans all the time.
The sort of thing Paul posted is very familiar, though I
wouldn't file it exactly as DUATS spits it out, because
one doesn't typically need that many waypoints to adequately
define the route and if a partial rerouting is necessary it's
a PITA for ATC to have to read all those VOR radial distances.
1 or 2 per center will suffice.

Anyway, point is: while it's true DUATS flight planner will
*add* lat-longs to the VOR-radial distance output, I've never
seen a DUATS flight plan which was submitted as some combination
of VOR radial-distance and other waypoints, converted into lat-long
before being filed.

The converted lat/lons appear only in the flight log DUAT spits out for your
convenience, and are not part of the ATC flight plan.

Exactly.

I wouldn't even say they're "converted", they're just "added"; the
VOR radial/distances are still there.

Cheers,
Sydney (still trying to figure out where I need to file lat-longs,
outside the Gulf of Mexico grid.....)