dirty oil

Old March 6th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default dirty oil

Montblack wrote:
Doing our (vehicle) oil changes, I drain the old oil. I use a "flush
filter" that goes on next. I add (less expensive oil) and run the car
for 20 minutes - while I clean up from the first batch.

On my second oil change, the "flush filter" gets drained and returned
to its (labeled) box on the shelf. A fresh filter is used, then I add
my good oil and I'm all set.

I know a few people who like to do a similar thing for old^Wclassic cars
with engines of unknown provenance. If the engine is not showing obvious
signs of distress like low compression, huge oil leaks, lots of end play
on the crankshaft, or poor power (measured by an ANSI standard seat-of-
the-pants test), they do oil changes on short intervals, like 200 or 300
miles, until the oil stops turning black shortly after the oil change.
Once that happens, they go to an interval of somewhere between 1500 to
3000 miles. The oil does get dark by the end of this longer interval.

Many of the engines are old enough to not have oil filters as we know
them, so a "flush filter" isn't used for this process. This is also why
some of the owners prefer a "normal" change interval that is pretty short
by new-car standards. They don't expect this treatment to get them
another 100,000 miles before a rebuild or swap, but they do think it
helps the engine last a little longer than it ordinarily would. This
gives them a bit more time to drive the car and work out the rest of
the problems, and to get the parts together for an engine rebuild.

Matt Roberds

Old March 7th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NVArt

I'm sorry; I have to ask: Did you SEE the oil changed?

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Stan Prevost" wrote:

So, Dan, how did this turn out?

Friday, I took the airplane to Teledyne Continental's shop in Fairhope, AL
for a "second opinion" on the engine.

Just got the report: the engine seems fine. Compressions are ok,
crankcase pressure is ok, cylinders all looked good when bore-scoped.

This mechanic said the same thing my regular mechanic said about the dirty
oil: it most likely came from the oil cooler and associated plumbing which
doesn't get drained at oil change unless you pull a line off the cooler.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old March 7th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"NVArt" wrote:

I'm sorry; I have to ask: Did you SEE the oil changed?

Changed it myself.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old March 14th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Montblack wrote:

("Mike Noel" wrote)

You carry those milk jugs over to the recycling center, right Montblack?

Yes, and it's best not to let (whatever) sit in a plastic milk carton for
too long. I've had them leak after a few months. I don't know what all I had
in one - or maybe it got kicked? All I know is, one day there was a mess on
the floor.

I store, and transport them, in a (cardboard lined) milk crate - trani
fluid, oil, anti-freeze. Each in its own jug.

MontGreen

the oil apparently breaks down the plastic in milk jugs. Several times
I've had them leak when they sat in my garage for several weeks waiting
for me to get around to burying them in the back yard (just kidding,
they go to the recycling center, which is inconveniently located across
town in the direction we almost never go).
Old March 14th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Perhaps there are closer places you haven't found yet. I usually take the
containers to Pep Boys, but Checker Auto also takes the oil for recycling.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Old March 14th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Mike Noel wrote:

Perhaps there are closer places you haven't found yet. I usually take the
containers to Pep Boys, but Checker Auto also takes the oil for recycling.

The town dump accepts oil for recycling at no charge. The gas stations
all charge a sizable fee. Hence, the cross-town trek.
Old March 15th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

That's unfortunate. Everyone seems to accepts the oil for free in Arizona,
probably to avoid giving anyone an excuse for illegal dumping.