B&C light weight alternator

Old May 3rd 05, 10:09 PM
Al MacDonald

Default B&C light weight alternator

Greetings,

I'm considering installing a B&C light weight alternator, SD-8 (8amp and
2500 rpm) in my Pitts. Serious weight reduction from my old generator.....
My electrical system consists of an Icom A200 that draws practically nothing
and a fuel pump that is turned on for t/o, landing and aerobatics. With my
average flight being about .4 does anyone on this list have thoughts as to
whether this will keep my battery charged or if I have to introduce
supplemental charging. I'm sure there are lots of Pitts pilots out there
who are using this alternator. Thanks for any input.

al.

Old May 3rd 05, 11:36 PM
ShawnD2112

Al,

I just finished installing the SD-8 in my S-1. Installation was a piece of
cake except for project creep ("Weeelllll, while I'm in there, I might as
well rewire that bit...and come to think of it, I don't really like those
particular circuit breakers...and the old Narco radio's buggered so I'll put
in a handheld...etc, etc, etc for another £500). It seems to work a treat
but, funnily enough, most of what I've done since then have been
crosscountries of .5 or over and it's been no problem. Multiple flights
shorter than that I can't report on, but I know of two mates who are flying
typical Pitts sorties with an SD-8 and they don't have to use anything
additional. For the reduction in weight, cost, and simplification of
everything, it's worth it, even if you do have to buy a trickle charger for
another $20 or whatever.

Next on my shopping list is their lightweight starter.

Just my .02 worth...

Shawn
Pitts S-1D, G-BKVP

Old May 6th 05, 05:45 AM
B. Jensen

Al,

Depending on how your inverted oil system is plumbed, you might want to
put the adapter that B&C sells on your vacuum pad that allows you to
install both the SD-8 and inverted oil pickup from the same area. If
you have the "classic" setup with the "T" connector on the firewall, you
will have much more stable oil pressure when rolling from upright to
inverted with the pickup coming from the vacuum pad just prior to the
SD-8. Just a suggestion if you are in the process of modifying your
Pitts. It a very simple conversion. BTW, the SD-8 works very well as
do all the B&C products I have ever used.

BJ

Old May 6th 05, 03:13 PM
B. Jensen

Al,

Check out this site. It describes the system I'm talking about for your
Pitts.

http://www.bandcspecialty.com/VAC2info.pdf

BJ