Showing metal at 1,100 hours

Old December 20th 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Showing metal at 1,100 hours

I would _think_ that the rust that can accumulate in 60 days on an oily
surface like your cylinders is going to be microscopic in thickness. So
anything that gets scraped off would be microscopic in size. If you had rust
thick enough to scape off in visible shavings, I would think it would be
enough to sieze the engine. But, I've never run an experiment where I've
left an engine sit for 60 days then measured the rust thickness. Were the
metal shavings shiny or rust? If they were shiny, then it wasn't rust from
the bores, eh?

If you take the prop off when you put the tow hook on, it should improve the
L/D, right?
--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
Rust might end up in the oil analysis, but I don't see how some surface

rust
from the bores would end up as metal shavings in the filter. (If I recall
correctly, that's what you found, right?) :-(

We have fine metal partices - where from we don't know. How surface rust
from the bores would appear in the filter? I don't know. What would you
expect to see in such a situation?

Does a Maule come with a Tost or Schweizer hook as an option? (And I
don't mean on the tail end...)
;-)

No hook but it has such a attention getting glide ratio that I think I'll
wait to get the vibrator fixed. Actually I do have some 2-22 time....

Old December 20th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Probably there is a wide variety of corrosion environments. Some
severe, and some quite passive. Surely the coastal areas have to be
more severe. Temperature variations will cause a doubling of corrosion
about every 20 deg F rise, so summertime is when it is most severe.

My 172 engine has set for the 3 winter months a couple of times (in MN)
with no visible sign of corrosion in the cylinders. Another never-run
C-85 engine in my hangar was assembled over 6 years ago but is still
not showing any signs of corrosion in its cylinders. It is turned over
only yearly. I have to resist running it though until the rest of the
J-4 project gets done.

FWIW - Rust (ferric oxide) is non-magnetic. Ferrous oxide (black form)
is though.

Old December 21st 05, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Which kind is it?
Does it attach to your existing oil adapter or replace it?
Michelle

Jay Honeck wrote:

I had an mystery oil leak as well. It took me several weeks and wash downs
to find it.

Big snip

I replaced it with a remote filter housing....

Well, I've already got one of those...

I'm having my A&P change the oil and install new iridium plugs this week --
and I've already asked him to go on a LIMITED "fishing expedition" in search
of the oil leak. If he hasn't found the source after 2 hours, we're calling
it off, and I'll just live with it...

Thanks for the ideas!

Old December 24th 05, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Which kind is it?

Airwolf.

Does it attach to your existing oil adapter or replace it?

I believe it replaced it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA