LASAR ignitions

Old December 31st 05, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default LASAR ignitions

The left mag on my Cherokee went bad. For some time, I have been
considering replacing the Bendix mags with the Unison Lasar system, so
perhaps this is the time to do it.

Is anyone on the NG flying with a LASAR ignition? If so, I would
appreciate your comments. Have you experienced any quirks with
installation, starting, operation?

Thanks,
Nathan
Old December 31st 05, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Nathan Young wrote:

The left mag on my Cherokee went bad. For some time, I have been
considering replacing the Bendix mags with the Unison Lasar system, so
perhaps this is the time to do it.

Is anyone on the NG flying with a LASAR ignition? If so, I would
appreciate your comments. Have you experienced any quirks with
installation, starting, operation?

One of the most common comments about electronic ignition is that the
power impulses are stronger. This can lead to things cracking and
breaking on some aircraft. Some props have problems with electronic
ignition.
Old December 31st 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
news
The left mag on my Cherokee went bad. For some time, I have been
considering replacing the Bendix mags with the Unison Lasar system, so
perhaps this is the time to do it.

Is anyone on the NG flying with a LASAR ignition? If so, I would
appreciate your comments. Have you experienced any quirks with
installation, starting, operation?

Thanks,
Nathan

Nathan, the lancair group has been beating electronic ignitions to death
recently. One pilot removed the Lasar and explains why,
http://mail.lancaironline.net/lists/...html?Language=

Gary

Old December 31st 05, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Nathan Young wrote:
Is anyone on the NG flying with a LASAR ignition? If so, I would
appreciate your comments. Have you experienced any quirks with

Nathan - if you're interested, I could pass your e-mail address to a guy
I know from the Cherokee Pilot's Association who flies a Lasar equipped
'67 Arrow. I'm sure he'd be willing to pass along his knowledge. He
swears by Lasar.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old December 31st 05, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:55:53 -0800, Jack Allison
wrote:

Nathan Young wrote:
Is anyone on the NG flying with a LASAR ignition? If so, I would
appreciate your comments. Have you experienced any quirks with

Nathan - if you're interested, I could pass your e-mail address to a guy
I know from the Cherokee Pilot's Association who flies a Lasar equipped
'67 Arrow. I'm sure he'd be willing to pass along his knowledge. He
swears by Lasar.

Thanks Jack, please drop me his contact info. My posting email
address is accurate.

-Nathan

Old January 2nd 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In your position I would throw on a set of spanking new Slicks and be
done with it... They will outlast your ownership of the airplane... The
LASAR ignition, while nice, is not necessarily the answer to a maidens
prayer... Local fella put a set on his Warrior and on his twin
Commanche three years ago... He flys over 300 hours a year... Last time
I talked to him about the LASAR's he shrugged, said they work, but
weren't really any better than a pair of good mags and that he wouldn't
do it again because of the cost... Comments the he could buy a lot of
fuel for the price of the LASAR's.. Says he didn't see any change in
the fuel burn...

I have the old Bendix boxes on Fat Albert the Apache... Every pilot who
flies with me the first time comments about how easily the engines
start... A magneto with fresh parts, with a good impulse spring, and
the E gap and the timing set properly - and the carbs properly set up -
will start easily and run smoothly...

Then there is the issue of combustion burn speed... The engine and
propellor combination is tested and designed to work with the
combustion impulse from the cylinder charge being lit by the
magnetos... When you go to an electronic ignition that radically
changes the combustion impulse and the shock harmonics generated...
Whether that will make any difference in your airplane, I don't
know... Youse pays yer money and youse takes yer chances...

denny

Old January 2nd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Then there is the issue of combustion burn speed... The engine and
propellor combination is tested and designed to work with the
combustion impulse from the cylinder charge being lit by the
magnetos... When you go to an electronic ignition that radically
changes the combustion impulse and the shock harmonics generated...

Did LASAR do a propeller stress survey for each aircraft/engine
combination? As a minimum I'd think it to be a requirement for any of
the undamped 4 cylinder Lycomings. Otherwise, I'd sure stick with the
Slick mags and let someone else run that experiment.