Have you ever seen a C-130 Hercules trying to do a hover over the runway ?

Old December 20th 04, 04:29 AM
Gord Beaman

"Tex Houston" wrote:

What amazes me is that they took a fighter pilot (however skilled
at piloting a fighter), checked him out in a C-130 Hercules (a
bird of a QUITE different feather) and let him attempt this
pretty dangerous mission when there's likely many hundreds of
pilots MUCH more skilled in handling a Herc than him.
--

-Gord.

Two tasks involved, landing on a carrier and landing a C-130...I submit
landing on the carrier may be the more difficult. While assault type
landings are practiced by C-130 pilots they aren't directed toward a moving
target. Purely opinion, mind you.

Tex

For sure...yes, as you say two tasks. I suppose there must have
been very solid reasons...and likely quite heated opinions on
both sides during the planning stages...the Military isn't known
for doing serious things like this willy-nilly.

It was likely as you say, although I'm sure some might think that
there were ulterior motives, I doubt it on second thought.
Thanks.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old December 31st 04, 03:52 AM
w4okw

Hi Jake, et al,

Actually the Herk has no "lockout "(the P-3 does however) to prevent going
into beta inflight. Just lift the power levers over the ramp. The big blue
sleeping pill sez don't do it! Good call.

I can't imagine a pitchlocked prop while coming over the ramp - that would
really wreck your lineup!

BTW back in the 70s NATC Pax actually did some FCLPs in the P-3, but cool
heads prevailed and the project never went to the boat!

Tom Clarke
Herks at Pax
"Jake Donovan" wrote in message
More moons ago, Gator Chunning, after retiring from the Navy and heading

up
Lockheed's Navy Projects division told me no mods were done to the prop
pitch. The only mods done were to the brakes, they installed new anti

skid
brakes and a smaller nose gear. All external tanks were removed

The aircraft was taken directly out of the USMC stock, a KC130F, sent to
Lockheed for the mods. Then Lt., James Flately III was qualed in the
aircraft by Lockheed's chief test pilot, whose name escapes me right now.

There was a measured 40kt head wind over the bow during the trials. 21

full
unassisted landings and take offs were made before the end of the tests.

Flately was awarded a DFC.

All other stories about rocket assists, modified pitch, downward thrust

are
all fairy tails.

Jake

PS On a lighter side - On the fuselage below the cockpit was painted "Look
Ma, no hook!"
"Yofuri" wrote in message
Gord Beaman wrote:
"C.D.Damron" wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote in
message news:h7mwd.768167$8_6.703195@attbi_s04...

Iwan Bogels wrote:
There was a famous experiment to prove that a fully loaded C-130 could
land on a carrier. The roll-out was 270 feet. Thrust reversers

were
used before it was on the deck. I'll bet those landings left

something
to be desired for comfort. I think I can find a short video of the
landings and will be happy to post it if someone can tell me where.

I don't think that pitch was reversed in those trials.

I don't know but it could have been after the a/c was on the deck
and even before with some futzing with the squat switch circuits
that normally prevent that. I've seen both of the tapes. How do
you know that they didn't use reverse?
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Smoky Stover told me that they used pitch reverse, and that the squat
switches had been bypassed to allow it without WOW.

I never knew on how many of the landings they used it or not.

Rick