NBC News Attempt To Discredit GA

Old August 12th 04, 11:45 PM
Al Marzo

Default NBC News Attempt To Discredit GA

This story HAS been verified and addressed by Phil Boyer of AOPA.
Check their webpage for Phil's comment and challenge. Also, you
should email your feelings of disgust to

Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 2:41 PM
Subject: PASS THE WORD: NBC is actively trying to discredit GA

To: AAAE Transportation Security Services Committee
AAAE Non Hub/General Aviation Committee
AAAE Regulatory Membership

From: Rebecca Morrison – Staff Vice President,
Transportation Security Policy Department, AAAE

Attempted Security Breach at GA Facility

Date: August 11, 2004

The following is a description of an incident that occurred today at
the St. Louis Downtown Airport, a large GA facility. We are sharing
this story with you as there are indications that it might be repeated
throughout the country. We would like to thank Bob McDaniel, the
Director at the St. Louis Downtown Airport, for sharing the details of
the incident outlined below.

Earlier today two Middle Eastern men attempted to penetrate our
security. They telephoned one of my helicopter FBOs and asked about a
charter flight. After discussion of price and directions to the
business, they arrived an hour later. When the office agent asked how
they were going to pay for the flight they produced cash. When asked
for ID, they produced driver’s licenses from two different states and
they were driving a car licensed in a third state.

Things didn’t smell right so the mechanic took them into the hangar to
see the aircraft while the office person called the FBI and local
police. The helicopter they were going to fly was blocked in by other
aircraft so the mechanic was able to stall them by having to slowly
shuffle the blocking planes. Meanwhile the two men got their
backpacks and odd-shaped luggage out of their car. Soon the local
police arrived and they were hauled off to jail in handcuffs.

After a little time behind bars, the FBI verified that the two men
were employed by NBC New York and were on assignment to get a story of
how easy it is to charter a helicopter for a terrorist attack. The
men had stayed in a local hotel and purchased box cutters, leather-man
knives, and other potential weapons at the local Wal-Mart using a
credit card. The box cutters had been hidden in the lining at the
bottom of the back packs and the other weapons were hidden throughout
their baggage. They had audiotaped the telephone conversation with
Arlene and were going to use it as part of a national news story about
how easy it is to get information and directions to the location of
the helicopter and then hijack it to commit a terrorist attack.

I doubt they will be back at our airport soon and this is a story that
will never be seen since they were caught. A very “well-done” to my
FBO and staff and the local FBI and police response forces. We have
since learned that we were the first airport where this had been
attempted and NBC planned to attempt similar penetration stories
around the country. Please help me spread the word to other airports.

Old August 13th 04, 06:30 PM
Patrick Mayer

Hi,

very, very well done, indeed! Maybe those jerks should run a story about
THAT - but surely, they won't. A good picture of GA probably just doesn't
fit their programme :-(

Patrick

Old August 14th 04, 04:58 PM
Gene Seibel

"Patrick Mayer" wrote in message ...
Hi,

very, very well done, indeed! Maybe those jerks should run a story about
THAT - but surely, they won't. A good picture of GA probably just doesn't
fit their programme :-(

Patrick

They did run a small token story, but if it had been negative it would
have been splashed all over. Just a little fairness and balance would
be good.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html