"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Old October 30th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linar Yusupov

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Mike,

Mark Hawkins has it working with iGlide via WiFi.

Hmm. Are you sure?
He wrote earlier that:

3. Have gotten it to connect via Bluetooth LE (BLE) to iSoar which seems to process the PF sentences just as it does from other devices

As for iGlide, Air Avionics does not specify he https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=507
that it is able to do BLE, but they do AirConnect instead.

T-Beam's are shipped with either RC4 or RC5 SoftRF firmware versions. NMEA TCP (AirConnect) option was not available at that time yet. So build of the firmware from current source code and re-flashing is necessary.

I would also appreciate if someone will confirm that ForeFlight is dong fine with SoftRF over Garmin GDL90.
I have not done it by myself yet, as well as never seen reports about that from builders worldwide.

Linar.
Old October 30th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

He wrote earlier that:

3. Have gotten it to connect via Bluetooth LE (BLE) to iSoar which seems to process the PF sentences just as it does from other devices

As for iGlide, Air Avionics does not specify he https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=507
that it is able to do BLE, but they do AirConnect instead.

T-Beam's are shipped with either RC4 or RC5 SoftRF firmware versions. NMEA TCP (AirConnect) option was not available at that time yet. So build of the firmware from current source code and re-flashing is necessary.

I would also appreciate if someone will confirm that ForeFlight is dong fine with SoftRF over Garmin GDL90.
I have not done it by myself yet, as well as never seen reports about that from builders worldwide.

Linar.

Linar,

When I saw Ed A's post an hour or so ago, I asked Mark who uses the app and he replied exactly as I have indicated.

Mike

Old October 30th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linar Yusupov

When I saw Ed A's post an hour or so ago, I asked Mark who uses the app and he replied exactly as I have indicated.

Ok. Good news! Thank you!

Old November 5th 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wells

Can a softrf be integrated into an existing (FLARM) setup?

I'd like to keep the flarm for its proven anti-collision warnings, and add in the ability to see all the other stuff that the Softrf provides. However the two antennae will interfere with each other (?).
Old November 5th 18, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 9:04:22 AM UTC-8, John Wells wrote:
Can a softrf be integrated into an existing (FLARM) setup?

I'd like to keep the flarm for its proven anti-collision warnings, and add in the ability to see all the other stuff that the Softrf provides. However the two antennae will interfere with each other (?).

"interface" means so much asking that is pretty meaningless. What do you expect/want it to do? Work on separate displays? An integrated display? Provide what services? What FLARM do you have and what country are you in? In the USA do you have ADS-B Out?
Old November 6th 18, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wells

I'd like to be able to take NMEA stream from the Softrf for NON-FLARM contacts. I'm happy to write software or whip up a little micro to merge this with the NMEA output from FLARM and present them on my xcsoar radar.

But I expect the Softrf antenna will negatively impact my flarm tx/rx and vice versa.

I'm in the UK. CLASSIC Flarm. But at the high level I don't think this makes any difference. I'm happy to do a lot of the leg work myself but just wondered what was possible.
Old November 6th 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christophe Mutricy

At 12:59 06 November 2018, John Wells wrote:
I'd like to be able to take NMEA stream from the Softrf for NON-FLARM
contacts. I'm happy to write software or whip up a little micro to merge
this with the NMEA output from FLARM and present them on my xcsoar radar.

depending your skillset, it might be easier to review/adapt Xcsoar. I
believe XCSoar uses the data from the first device with that kind of data.
That is certainly the case for GPS.
So you might have to modify the code so that "FLARM" data is accepted from
several device. (flarm between quote because all traffic device are seen as
flarm if using the flarm protocol)

But I expect the Softrf antenna will negatively impact my flarm tx/rx and
vice versa.

If the SoftRF doesn't transmit and the antenna are not close there won't be
interference.

If the softRF transmit on the same or close by frequency as FLarm then we
might have provlem if they both transmit exactly at the same time.

--
Xtophe

Old November 6th 18, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linar Yusupov

Can a SoftRF be integrated into an existing (FLARM) setup?

If you are considering XCSoar as FMS software, you either:
1) wait until Max will release next 7.0 preview or
2) build your own XCSoar binary from current source code tree.
( make sure that this commit : https://github.com/XCSoar/XCSoar/com...5fd3abf08e09e3
is in there. )

However the two antennae will interfere with each other (?).

1) Two receivers typically do not affect each other when distance between them is more than 2X of max. antenna size. Otherwise even inactive 2nd receiver's antenna (as well almost any other metal object) will slightly alter characteristics of 1st receiver's antenna (such as RL, SWR, …) ;

2) SoftRF's transmitter is compliant with 1% duty cycle rule ;

3) in any doubts, SoftRF user can disable transmitter with "Tx Power" menu option:
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/Settings
After that, other traffic will not see you on this protocol, but you will still be able to see them all.

Old November 7th 18, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wells

Neat... I'm already using v7 on a custom openvario.

Is it worth transmitting ogntp if I already have a flarm?
Old November 8th 18, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed A

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 2:35:04 AM UTC-6, Linar Yusupov wrote:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

Hello Linar,

We experimented with our new Prime Mk II device last weekend. It was a non-flying day here in Colorado, so we ground tested it against a PowerFLARM in a parked Ventus. We successfully paired the device (using Wi-Fi) with XCSoar running on a Samsung Tab A tablet. Then, we tested it by walking up and down the taxiway and were pleased to see that our "glider" was clearly displayed on the Ventus FLARM display and the Ventus was displayed on our tablet. Mission accomplished, so far. Next step will be to set up an OGN receiver and do some flight testing.

It's quite amazing that a DIY product that goes together in five minutes and costs about $50 can provide this kind of capability. (One of our members made the enclosure on his 3D printer.) Thank you Linar!

Note: I was hoping to try it with iGlide on the iPhone X, but was not successful. I installed AirConnect on the iPhone but couldn't get them to link. I've never used AirConnect before and may not be configuring it correctly. Is there a secret to this? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions from anyone who has had success with iGlide. Mike, Mark ... any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed A