Update your complete PowerFlarm system. Core, Butterfly Display andFlarmNet Database.

Old March 18th 15, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Update your complete PowerFlarm system. Core, Butterfly Display andFlarmNet Database.

OK, so the V6 FirmWare update is there.
For all the folks who were getting nervous and loosing their sleep and seeing their PowerFlarm and their glider go up in smoke and who were afraid that all of the USA was going to disappear into a big giant sinkhole and the sun stop revolving around the earth because of the FirmWare update not being available 2 week before the deadline, well, I hope you are all relaxed again by now !!

We will also survive the next 2 weeks of whining and griping about the update being out too early and the old Flarms not talking to the new V6s. But hey, it is still early spring, so still time for hangar talk (and not that many folks out there flying yet).
And then there is that thing that we did before there was PowerFlarm. What was it again, let me think....
Stare at the flight computer.... No, that was not it... Stare at the vario.... No, that was not it either... Now, come on, what was it again... Oh yeah, now I remember, SEE AND AVOID.
So, for the next 12 days, (push your friend to) update and SEE AND AVOID.
After that you can revert to the heads down again.

I did a complete update of my system, meaning
- PowerFlarm Core V6 FirmWare update
- Butterfly Display V3.4 Firmware update
- FlarmNet latest Database update (now encrypted).
- Checked my CONFIG file for proper settings.

The Butterfly Display firmware update to V3.4 is needed to accomodate the new encrypted FlarmNet files.
All of these updates can be done in 1 run with the proper files on the USB stick for the core.
The complete run takes less than 5 minutes.

All 3 items mentioned above installed with no problems on my system.
I tested under the Mineta Airport (SJC) approach, with FlightRadar24 running on a laptop to see the approaching traffic.
- PCAS operation OK, PCAS targets showing properly on radar screen.
- ADS-B operation OK, ADS-B targets showing properly on radar screen.
- Flarm operation not yet tested, no targets around.
- Datacom OK, IPAQ310/LK8000 showing ADS-B targets properly on moving map.

I have updated my step by step instructions.
Links to all the necessary files are included.
You can find them as usual at:
https://sites.google.com/site/threeu.../pf-brick-tips.
Make sure to read down to last year's instructions for the step-by-step.

Now is the time to update your complete system, register to FlarmNet if you have not yet done so or get a PowerFlarm system if you haven't got one yet..

Fly safely.
3U.
Old March 19th 15, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Well. You are partially correct. I updated my PowerFlarm core to 6.0 and my Butterfly 57mm display to 3.4 without issue.
However, the database for Flarmnet is suspect. The Flarmnet version I downloaded this morning updated properly. The version showed on the display as normal upon bootup. My friend did exactly the same with his PowerFLARM with all the same updates as our gliders were side by side. However, while we could see each other, only our Hex numbers came across. Our competition numbers were gone. Are we missing something (such as an American file for data)?
Here is the link for Flarmnet database we used.
http://www.flarmnet.org/files/index.php
Old March 19th 15, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 5:43:12 PM UTC-7, Craig Reinholt wrote:
Well. You are partially correct. I updated my PowerFlarm core to 6.0 and my Butterfly 57mm display to 3.4 without issue.
However, the database for Flarmnet is suspect. The Flarmnet version I downloaded this morning updated properly. The version showed on the display as normal upon bootup. My friend did exactly the same with his PowerFLARM with all the same updates as our gliders were side by side. However, while we could see each other, only our Hex numbers came across. Our competition numbers were gone. Are we missing something (such as an American file for data)?
Here is the link for Flarmnet database we used.
http://www.flarmnet.org/files/index.php

How does the encrypted flarmnet database affect PDA software such as SYM, XCSoar, Winpilot, etc.? Isn't that where the decoding as to what name and competition number goes with what serial number is done?
Old March 19th 15, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Hmm, indeed the flarmnet database was broken down by regions before, and now there is only one file, so I wonder if USA is missing...
Maybe it is better not upgrading your butterfly display and flarmnet database until this is figured out.

Ramy

Old March 19th 15, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 7:13:47 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Hmm, indeed the flarmnet database was broken down by regions before, and now there is only one file, so I wonder if USA is missing...
Maybe it is better not upgrading your butterfly display and flarmnet database until this is figured out.

Ramy

Reviewing the Dataport spec for the PowerFlarm, the only information about a target is in the $PFLAU and $PFLAA sentences, the 6 digit ID is all that is provided. It seems as though the encryption will make all PDA software obsolete for identifying Flarm equipped gliders (you will see them, but not know who they are). Kinda sucks a little bit. Maybe someone needs to start an unencrypted registry for those with nothing to hide. It was nice knowing who was next to you in a thermal, some demand a little more wariness than others....
Old March 19th 15, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have not yet been able to test the Flarm (and FlarmNet) part.
If only the last 3 digits of the ICAO HEX appear, that means that the FlarmNet database decoding is indeed not working.

I was in touch with FlarmNet support and Tobias mentioned that the FLarmNet database is now compressed. This allowed them to revert back to a single worldwide file (the "All Data" link). So no more separate regional files.

A few days ago, the links to the FlarmNet files for 3rd party devices were disabled. I guess they were still working on them.
I checked the FLarmNet download site a moment ago and I now see that LXNavigation, XCSOAR, LK8000, WinPilot (and others) links are up again.

3U