Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Old February 21st 19, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

A long time ago, George Moffat referred me to "Learned Optimism" by Martin Seligman. His thesis is that if you think you're stronger, faster, better, healthier, etc , then there's a pretty good chance you will be. It goes beyond the usual advice to think positive but that's the summary. So if certain pilots think they fly better because they abstain...or because a beer helps them relax after a flight, then they might.

Chip Bearden
Old February 21st 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 9:14:32 AM UTC-8, wrote:
A long time ago, George Moffat referred me to "Learned Optimism" by Martin Seligman. His thesis is that if you think you're stronger, faster, better, healthier, etc , then there's a pretty good chance you will be. It goes beyond the usual advice to think positive but that's the summary. So if certain pilots think they fly better because they abstain...or because a beer helps them relax after a flight, then they might.

Chip Bearden

I am positive beer makes me a better pilot.
Old February 21st 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 5:32:51 AM UTC+13, Papa3 wrote:
snip

For the hangover condition, they flew 14 hours after drinking enough ethanol mixed with diet soft drinks to attain a blood alcohol concentration of 100 mg/dl.

A questionable study, if in fact the ethanol was "mixed with diet soft drinks" that contained aspartame (a confounding variable). Aspartame, according to retired food scientist Dr Woodrow Monte (a former neighbor of mine in the South Island), is the most dangerous food additive on the market today. It changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Even though it is touted as natural, it has a synthetic methyl group on one of the amino acids that rapidly breaks down to methanol (wood alcohol). According to Dr Monte, methyl alcohol is metabolized differently in the human body compared to other animals, and is far more toxic in humans, which is why studies have trouble nailing down the hazards related to aspartame, because most rely on animal, not human studies. Methyl alcohol, after it is taken up by the body as a "Trojan horse" into susceptible tissues such as the brain, converts rapidly into formaldehyde, causing serious damage to proteins and DNA.

Fresh fruits and veggies contain minute amounts of methanol, but there's a natural mechanism that makes it harmless. Pectin firmly binds to methanol, allowing it to simply pass through your body and be excreted, because the human body does not have the enzymes to break that bond. If you or anyone you know drinks diet sodas (or uses NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, Equal-Measure), then have him or her look at Woody's website -- WhileScienceSleeps dot com. Or get a copy of his book, as I did -- While Science Sleeps, a Sweetener Kills.

And, for the record (being as I am P7 SCUM), Gary quaffs more of his own brew on both contest days and rest days than does any other competitor. Perhaps there's a *secret ingredient* in Papa 7 Brewery kegs that confers a competitive advantage.

Old February 22nd 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes Gary does make great beer! Thanks Gary. I spent several years flying with the late "OF" in Phoenix and as both of us enjoyed a good "party" after flying we had more than a few discussions about the matter. And his take was that he tried it both ways and found that it made no difference in his personnel experience. He usually got into trouble for his antics while flying not drinking

CH
Old February 23rd 19, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Alcohol may not improve your soaring but does help you deal with some of the insufferable contest pilots!

Mike
Old February 24th 19, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

lol, yes Mike it jas helped
Old February 25th 19, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

After reading this thread
I don't think I'm going to drink anymore.
But I don't think I'll drink any less either.
Old February 25th 19, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Nick Kennedy wrote on 2/24/2019 6:42 PM:
After reading this thread
I don't think I'm going to drink anymore.
But I don't think I'll drink any less either.

My conclusion I should drink less and encourage my fellow contestants to drink
more. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to pushing dead bees up their pitot tubes.

Old February 25th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 3:34:30 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Yet another aspartame hoax:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130505...health-hoax-2/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ews-180961880/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/as...-sweet-poison/

Old February 25th 19, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 2/24/2019 7:53 PM:

[...]

There are scientific studies showing more than two diet drinks a day are linked to
some health issues, including strokes. This new article by Consumer Reports covers
some them:

https://www.consumerreports.org/suga...223_nsltr_food