Learning piston engine basics

Old December 19th 05, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Learning piston engine basics

Is there a good place on the web that describes the basics and
terminology of piston engines? I understand the basic concepts, but
some of the terms I read, like journals and bosses, etc., are a bit
beyond me and I'd like to get a little bit better knowledge of the
concepts. I'm definitely not looking to get to mechanic level
knowledge, but to get beyond the "pistons go up and get blown down and
turn the crankshaft" level of knowledge.

Old December 19th 05, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Is there a good place on the web that describes the basics and
terminology of piston engines?

None that I've found. I've learned a lot on the Lycoming site, although
their main purpose seems to be avoiding liability rather than educating
their customers.

Your A&P can be an excellent source of knowledge. My A&P has been
remarkably patient, explaining everything to me multiple times.

I've learned a lot here, too, but, again, it's hit and miss. If you find an
all-inclusive "engine website", please share it with us all.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 19th 05, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Read aircraft engine manuals. They can be bought on Ebay. Read the
material at Sacramento Sky Ranch.

Also try this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/journal...?hl=crankshaft

http://www.100megsfree4.com/dictiona...dicb.htm#Board

Comment: I found this 2nd one by googling mechanic's dictionary. It
is a humongous resource with megs and megs of info.

Thanks for the intellectual stimulation.

Old December 19th 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

What about your local library? An gasoline engine is a gasoline engine
regardless of application. Once you understand engines then focus on
aircraft specifics.

oups.com...

Old December 20th 05, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Not exactly what you seem to have in mind, but for the operation of
piston engines, the engine management columns by John Deakin at
www.avweb.com are a must-read.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 21st 05, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

INTAKE STROKE: The piston goesdown, creating a vacuum in the cylinder
which draws gas through open intake valve into the space above the
piston.

COMPRESSION STROKE: The piston comes up with both valves closed,
highly compressing the gas into the space left between thetop of the
piston and cylinder head.

POWER STROKE: At this point the magneto sends high tension current to
the spark plug, firing or exploding the compressed gas and driving the
piston down.

EXHAUST STROKE: Exhaust valve opens and theupward stroke of the piston
forces out all of the burnt gases, thus completing the power cycle.