Why the yEnc?

Old June 30th 08, 02:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Default Why the yEnc?

You know.... I suspect this is all from two or three people who go from
group to group, just for the purpose of causing trouble.

Old June 30th 08, 03:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glen in Orlando

Alan,
supposing you are indeed correct.... it absolutely defies logic as to why so
many folks attempt to argue, fight, persuade, or simply comment when someone
posts in that format....
They crave the attention so many foolishly provide them.
The absolute best and most effective method for dealing with this is to
completely ignore them and their posts...
They will move on.
I think the funniest part of this is that people argue with others who are
COMPLETELY anonymous... heck, you might as well just yell at a box of
cheerios...
Glen in Orlando

Old July 2nd 08, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:49:15 -0400, Glen in Orlando wrote
(in article m):

Alan,
supposing you are indeed correct.... it absolutely defies logic as to why so
many folks attempt to argue, fight, persuade, or simply comment when someone
posts in that format....
They crave the attention so many foolishly provide them.
The absolute best and most effective method for dealing with this is to
completely ignore them and their posts...
They will move on.
I think the funniest part of this is that people argue with others who are
COMPLETELY anonymous... heck, you might as well just yell at a box of
cheerios...
Glen in Orlando

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
You know.... I suspect this is all from two or three people who go from
group to group, just for the purpose of causing trouble.

He's wrong, given that I, at least, have been here for a rather long time.
And every pic I post has been Yenc. And no, I'm not going to change,
precisely because of the abuse. Perhaps the anti-Yencers should have tried
politeness. Rudeness ****es people off.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Sorry for the top post.

Glen,
What your are suggesting is the silent majority syndrome. Everyone is ****ed
off at X, but no one says anything, but X keeps growing because there is no
opposition to it. I do not subscribe to this mentality, I do not like yEnc
because it really does not save any space on the size of posts being brought to
this forum or any other JPEG forum for that matter, but that is for the yEncers
to justify.

My two cents.

Ray
===

Old July 2nd 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in
:

I do not like yEnc because it really does not save any space on the size

of posts being brought to this forum or any other JPEG forum for that
matter, but that is for the yEncers to justify.

Wikipedia disagrees: "yEnc is a binary-to-text encoding scheme for
transferring binary files in messages on Usenet or via e-mail. It reduces
the overhead over previous US-ASCII-based encoding methods by using an 8-
bit Extended ASCII encoding method. yEnc's overhead is often as little as
1–2%, compared to 33%–40% overhead for 6-bit encoding methods like uuencode
and Base64. With decreased overhead, the encoded message body is smaller.
Therefore, the message can be delivered faster and requires less storage
space."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenc

Even Jeremy Nixon, the guy who put up "Why yEnc is bad for Usenet"
disagrees with you. "The main premise behind yEnc is lower overhead for
encoded binaries. The usual methods of encoding a binary for Usenet
transmission, uuencode and base64, both result in more than a 33% increase
in file size after encoding. yEnc, on the other hand, results in only a
tiny overhead, meaning the posts are smaller.
http://exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old July 3rd 08, 01:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:34:45 -0400, mrorwell wrote
(in article ) :

[...]

You're using _facts_ instead of _emotion_. No fair.

Old July 4th 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

hielan' laddie wrote in
:

You're using _facts_ instead of _emotion_. No fair.

Yeah... I'm a terrible person.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old July 6th 08, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_4_]

Damn, another blocked sender.

--
Jim Morris
Old July 7th 08, 02:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

Default Why the yEnc? - "giveadamn.gif" yEnc (1/1) [4K]

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:53:56 -0400, Jim Morris wrote
(in article ):

Damn, another blocked sender.

Yawn.

Attached Images