Ren Yenc

Old September 2nd 08, 02:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Default Ren Yenc

Chris D added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on
Usenet

You are very proud of your wordplay, it appears, but this
does not alter the fact that many people use OE.
yEnc is a toy for people who insist on showing that they are
clever. Well, good for you. You are a clever boy, now go and
do something useful, like posting pictures as is. If you use
a decent provider and connection there is no need for these
silly programs.

Well said Herman

Outhouse Depressed is the choice of the majority of people on
Usenet because they are either ignorant of the many choices
available for real news readers or they are simply too lazy to try
them. Either way, yEnc is not evil, it's that you Luddites using OE
can't read it thus you quickly develop blind hatred for an encoding
scheme that greatly reduces the as-posted size.

You need to grow up and get a life beyond Bill the Gates.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Old September 2nd 08, 02:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

The Raven added these comments in the current discussion du jour

There are a great number of NGs where all you see is yEnc. In
places where there's wild disagreement and blind hatred, it
is always, always coming from the OUthouse Depressed crowd

See, your argument falls flat the second you start denigrating
the opposition. Fact is, OE is used by more people than Yenc.

That's right, I denigrate the stupid and the ignorant that insist
on using Outhouse Depressed and thus blindly hate yEnc just
because you can't read it. As to OE being more popular than yEnc,
you are dead wrong. There are literally thousands of NGs where
most or all binary posts are done with yEnc while the number of
OE bigots is far less than the content on the NGs. You are the
loser for refusing to recognize the obvious.
that refuse
to either get a real news reader or the plug-in that will
allow OE to decode yEnc.

Why change newsreaders when the one provided for free is
perfectly servicable? Yes I tried some plug-ins but, like
most, they weren't effective and made the default product
unreliable.

Xnews is also free, it supports yEnc and it can decode multi-part
binaries in-line. Also, Xnews is up to 5 times faster displaying
a JPEG. Don't believe it, time it yourself. You need to get a
life beyond Outhouse Depressed. Your blind hatred and ignorance
is depriving you of millions of pictures posted to thousands of
NGs which you can't see because you're wed at the hip to Bill the
Gates crap software.

It isn't evil, it isn't just for porn, and it isn't a dud.

Fact is, it's not anywhere near a widely accepted standard. At
least, not here where it counts.

Fact is, you're dead wrong. Take a look around Usenet to places
that are very active with JPEGs, movies, and MP3s and you will
see literally thousands of NGs where yEnc is the primary encoding
scheme. As for here, the collective group has decided to
intentionally stay with an obsolete encoding scheme only to
pacify the ignorant OE users.

If the Luddites of the world want to stick their heads in
the sand and pretend that yEnc is no good, that's there
choice, they'll just miss out on a tremendous amount of good
content in thousands of NGs.

I'm not saying it's no good, just that it's not better and
causes more problems than it solves.

yEnc causes no problems whatsoever except that Outhouse Depressed
dumb users can't see it. yEnc reduces the as-posted size of a
binary attachment up to 39% compared to Uuencode. If you're not
too stupid to Google, look for the author's description of the
standard and also Jeremy Nixon's essay. There're minor technical
problems with yEnc but zero problem in practice.

Get a life beyond Microcrap.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Old September 2nd 08, 03:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

The Raven added these comments in the current discussion du jour

"Jim Breckenridge" wrote in message
michael hoare wrote:
I dont care if its been said a thousand times i fail to
see the point of encrypting entries so that they cant be
viewed without downloading some other crap to view them
....whats the purpose of it ..what purpose does it serve
besides ****ing off those who cant view the pics i really
dont see the point of it all Mick H

It's fact.

The only "fact" here is that you're too stupid and/or too ignorant
to investigate yEnc and stupid, ignorant, or too lazy to get a real
news reader. Try Xnews, it's free, decodes all encoding schemes
transparently, easily handles multi-part binaries and is many times
faster than OE in displaying JPEGs

So, get your "facts" right before making a fool of yourself more
than you already have.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Old September 2nd 08, 03:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

"The Raven" wrote in
u:

Why change newsreaders when the one provided for free is perfectly
servicable?

Good analogy.

Still playing 78 RPM records? Driving a 1962 Chevy? Or have you done
something radical like upgraded to a color tv?

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old September 2nd 08, 03:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 08:50:59 -0400, michael hoare wrote
(in article ):

I dont care if its been said a thousand times i fail to see the point of
encrypting entries so that they cant be viewed without downloading some
other crap to view them ....whats the purpose of it ..what purpose does it
serve besides ****ing off those who cant view the pics i really dont see
the point of it all
Mick H

1 It keeps the idiots who insist on using a crippled newsreader from seeing
good stuff. This is a Good Thing(tm).

2 It is also faster, uses less bandwidth, and is more efficient. That is also
a number of Good Things(tm).

My primary reason for using YENC used to be (2). Since encountering idiots
who insist that I must cripple my use of USENET so as to coddle them because
they refuse to use anything but MSOE, my primary reason for using YENC has
become (1). ****ing off morons who have delusions of grandeur and who can't
do a damn thing to stop me is a Good Thing(tm)

BTW... note the headers on Michael Hoare's post. By Alan Erskine's logic, the
two of 'em must be the same person, 'forging' headers. Alan-me-lad, have you
complained to Newsguy about my 'forged' headers yet?

Old September 2nd 08, 04:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

michael hoare wrote:
[...]

You really LOVE calling people stupid, ignorant, lazy, fool, etc.
Is it someting from your early childhood? What went wrong?

Old September 2nd 08, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Oviedo

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
Oviedo added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Speaking of weak arguements - I have seen examples of the same
post in jpg and ynec formats and the 39% doesn't hold water.
Maybe 3.9%, but no where near 39%.

You are entirely wrong. The spec for yEnc itself quotes the number,
I didn't, but since you're obviously so ignorant, try posting the
exact same JPEG with Uuencode and with yEnc and see for yourself.
The actual size of the binary doesn't change, of course, but almost
all of the Uue overhead is eliminated by yEnc resulting in a much
smaller as-posted size. Were it not for this fact, why would it
have been invented and why would so many people, all far more
knowledgeable then you, quote the same reduction?

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

There was no need to call me ignorant.

If you would have bothered to read and comprehend my post, you would have
read that.I HAVE seen the EXACT post in jpg and yEnc and the savings was
insignificant.

Old September 3rd 08, 12:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

hielan' laddie added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

[...]

For once, an enlightened and correct view of this controversy.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Old September 3rd 08, 03:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:13:07 -0400, michael hoare wrote
(in article ):

so now im being ignored what a great news group this is
MH

Gee, son, I'm not ignoring you. I'm pitying you.

You're reaping what so many other clueless MSOE users have sown by their
intemperate rants against YENC (and other useful techniques). I, for one,
would be more inclined towards paying attention to what they (and you) want
if only they had not started off by accusing me of all kinds of things on no
basis whatsoever other than I posted using YENC. When they did that, they
poisoned the well... and now they (and you) get to drink deep.

I repeat: MSOE is a crippled newsreader. I've posted before what the minimum
requirements for a real newsreader are; MSOE fails on all counts. If MSOE
meets your requirements, by all means continue to use it... just don't expect
any sympathy if other people, using real newsreaders, do so in ways that
cause trouble for crippled newsreaders. We who use real newsreaders do not
_have_ to accommodate you who use crippled ones. You do _not_ get a vote on
what I post, when I post it, and what techniques I use to post it. If you do
not wish to use something which can download it, despite the swarm of
cheap/free real newsreaders available for Windows and Mac and (probably,
given the Tux mentality, I don't do penguins so I don't know for sure,
corrections invited) Linux, you are free to do so... Too bad that you won't
be able to see the pix, but that's your choice. Just as you can't make me
post using techniques you like, I can't make you use a real newsreader. I
can, however, ensure that it will be difficult for you to see my stuff if you
don't. You no like? Me no care.

And, oh, yeah... Alan-me-lad, have you contacted Newsguy about my 'forged'
headers yet?