OSH for the uninitiated...

Old June 4th 05, 07:28 PM
RST Engineering

The municipal bus to the dorms, the bus to the museum, the bus to the
seaplane base, and the bus(es) to the shopping malls all come to "bus stop
central", just outside the main gates. There is a huge (for lack of a
better word) pylon with words on it "bus stop central" or somesuch.

Just look for dozens of school buses all headed to the same point.

Jim

"Morgans" wrote in message

Where do you pick up the shuttle buses, the main entrance?
--
Jim in NC

Old June 4th 05, 10:46 PM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote

just outside the main gates. There is a huge (for lack of a
better word) pylon with words on it "bus stop central" or somesuch.

That's what I thought. Thanks!
--
Jim in NC
Old June 5th 05, 03:42 AM
Montblack

("RST Engineering" wrote)
[snip]
1. The dorms at the University of Oshkosh (for those that don't like to
camp in thunderstorm country). Best room rate in town, and I've never
known anybody to be turned away, reservation or not. No air conditioning
in the rooms and dorm style showers and potties, but the all-you-can-eat
food means you only have to really eat once a day. If you take the dollar
shuttle bus from the field back to the dorms at noon, the food is about
half-price the dinner tab and it is still all you can eat.

On the phone the UW-OSH dorm-gal said the waiting list for the dorms was
almost 700 names.

You think I have a shot at a dorm room if I just "show up" Sunday morning? I
enjoyed my dorm experience 2 years ago - plus $44/night is not bad!!

Thanks

Montblack

Old June 5th 05, 06:57 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:
Man, who'd have thought that an FBO meltdown a year ago would have put me
in this spot?

It's called "terminal indebtedness"....

;-)

Yep, one of those things that was crummy at the time since it meant
going to a different airport if I wanted to rent. I figure it really
pushed me into ownership about a year or two ahead of when I thought I'd
take the plunge. No looking back now, especially since we're operating
for *less* than another FBO in the area charges for their wet rate on a
C-152.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 5th 05, 07:18 AM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

Are we still thinking about a convoy? Jay's party is Saturday and we will
be leaving Grass Valley early on Friday (or perhaps even Thursday if the
weather looks crappy.)

Sure Jim. I still want to head up your way and actually meet. Funny, I
shot the VOR approach to Grass Valley last Thursday evening when I was
out with my CFII. I might be able to make it up to your neck of the
woods next weekend sometime.

Our plan is to leave Friday as well. That might be from RHV if I fly
down to pickup my brother (and the bay area fog cycle allows it). If
fog is likely, he'd drive up this way and we'd leave from LHM.

We generally shoot for Morgan County UT for the first stop and Alliance NE
for the night. Next day is pretty much a piece of cake into Iowa City with
one gas stop.

I'll have to lookup Morgan County. I've probably seen it, just don't
remember it right now. So long as I can get relatively cheap (if that's
possible) 100ll, I'm a happy camper. I generally plan 3-ish hour legs
since anything longer than 3:30 gets a little uncomfortable.

What sort of TAS do you get out of that rascal at 10.5 or so?

You know, I've only calculated TAS once and IIRC, it was around 125-130
kts and I that was between 4500-5500 MSL. One partner mentioned he was
getting 155 kts at 12,000 but didn't say if that was TAS or IAS...my bet
is that it was IAS though.

Old June 5th 05, 04:00 PM
John T

I think there is also a shuttle/bus inside the grounds that goes to the
seaplane base. WAAAAAYYYY down on the south end.

Old June 5th 05, 04:08 PM
RST Engineering

Sure Jim. I still want to head up your way and actually meet. Funny, I
shot the VOR approach to Grass Valley last Thursday evening when I was out
with my CFII. I might be able to make it up to your neck of the woods
next weekend sometime.

That's a dog of an approach, isn't it? Minimums are about 300' ABOVE
pattern altitude -- and if you miscalculate time, you are looking the fire
tower on Banner Mountain right in the snoot on the missed approach.

I thoroughly plan on spending all next weekend in the hangar putting the
last pieces back onto the engine.

I'll have to lookup Morgan County. I've probably seen it, just don't
remember it right now. So long as I can get relatively cheap (if that's
possible) 100ll, I'm a happy camper. I generally plan 3-ish hour legs
since anything longer than 3:30 gets a little uncomfortable.

That's right; I forgot. You need LL for your bird. I'd recommend Brigham
City just north of Salt Lake ($2.75) and then Alliance ($2.99). The only
problem is that RHV-BMC is 500 miles, or about 4 hours in your bird and you
said you wanted 3 hour legs. You can do it in three hops -- Wells [$2.70]
to Rawlins [$3.08] and then a chip shot into Alliance.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Wells stop. If you do
Brigham City, it is one hell of a climb to get through Joseph Pass and on
towards Eavenston and Ft. Bridger without going over some really snotty
terrain.

You know, I've only calculated TAS once and IIRC, it was around 125-130
kts and I that was between 4500-5500 MSL. One partner mentioned he was
getting 155 kts at 12,000 but didn't say if that was TAS or IAS...my bet
is that it was IAS though.

Well, if he was getting 155 knots IAS at 12k, then TAS would be something on
the order of 190 knots. That's one mother-fast Arrow.

See ya when you get here.

Jim

Old June 5th 05, 07:12 PM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

That's a dog of an approach, isn't it? Minimums are about 300' ABOVE
pattern altitude -- and if you miscalculate time, you are looking the fire
tower on Banner Mountain right in the snoot on the missed approach.

Ya, it was an interesting one. We wound up a mile north of the
airport...not that it had anything to do with the instrument student
flying the plane!

I thoroughly plan on spending all next weekend in the hangar putting the
last pieces back onto the engine.

Cool, I have instrument lessons Saturday and Sunday mornings and should
be able to hop up there afterwards.

That's right; I forgot. You need LL for your bird. I'd recommend Brigham
City just north of Salt Lake ($2.75) and then Alliance ($2.99). The only
problem is that RHV-BMC is 500 miles, or about 4 hours in your bird and you
said you wanted 3 hour legs. You can do it in three hops -- Wells [$2.70]
to Rawlins [$3.08] and then a chip shot into Alliance.

If we departed from RHV, we could top off at Grass Valley and go from
there. Despite planning three hour legs, there have been times where
it's pushed closer to four hours. I'll play around with some flight
planning options for the stops you mentioned and see how the numbers
look. Man, 100LL less than $3.00? Flying to OSH is going to be down
right cheap...er, sort of :-) 100ll at LHM is $3.42

Well, if he was getting 155 knots IAS at 12k, then TAS would be something on
the order of 190 knots. That's one mother-fast Arrow.

Hmmm, didn't consider that... We've got several speed mods and all but
190 kts TAS? Hmmm, maybe he had the turbo option installed :-)

See ya when you get here.

I'll drop you an e-mail as plans develop next week

Old June 5th 05, 08:15 PM
RST Engineering

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:

If we departed from RHV, we could top off at Grass Valley and go from
there.

You could, but I suspect you'd like to fly efficiently. If you throttled
back to fly with me at 110 knots, you'd practically be on the back side of
your power curve. My intent was to be an hour ahead of you on departure,
you'd catch me somewhere around Rock Springs or Rawlins, and then you'd beat
me into Alliance by half an hour. If you stopped twice for gas (Wells and
Rawlins) we'd probably be to Alliance at the same time AND be closer to each
other on the whole trip. I flight plan at least a 45 minute window for a
gas stop.

I think if we stay at 11.5 eastbound we ought to be in contact with one
another for over a hundred miles in any direction...let me do some quick
math presuming average terrain is 5K, then we are 5.5k above it, doubling
that to 11 and taking the square root gives us 104 miles and doubling that
because we are both at the same altitude gives us a plane to plane radio
horizon of a little over 200 miles. Not a problem.

I'm going to call the folks at Alliance this week to check on cargas and
tell them we plan RON on Friday and to please hold onto the airport vehicle
for us. I'd sort of like to get there early enough to take a trip out to
Autohenge about ten miles west of Alliance.

How many of your chairs are going to have butts in them?

Despite planning three hour legs, there have been times where
it's pushed closer to four hours. I'll play around with some flight
planning options for the stops you mentioned and see how the numbers look.
Man, 100LL less than $3.00? Flying to OSH is going to be down right
cheap...er, sort of :-) 100ll at LHM is $3.42

I think Jay was saying that autogas in IOW is somewhere around a buck-ninety
a gallon.

I'll drop you an e-mail as plans develop next week

Naah...let's keep it on the ng. Maybe we can rustle up another convoy-er or
two. Will you have your instrument ticket by that time?

Jim

Old June 5th 05, 10:22 PM
Jay Honeck

I think there is also a shuttle/bus inside the grounds that goes to the
seaplane base. WAAAAAYYYY down on the south end.

Yes, and the Seaplane Base is an absolute "must see" of any trip to OSH.

It's also usually the "most likely to be skipped" when you're running out of
time/energy. I attended ~15 OSH fly-ins before I ever made it over there.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA