AIRNAV not publishing fuel prices...

Old January 29th 04, 04:36 AM
Victor

Default AIRNAV not publishing fuel prices...

.... of new FBOs. Apparently they will only publish prices for FBOs
that have a subscription with them. Of course they own the web site so
it is their choice to do whatever they like. But it didn't use to be
this way. Previously AIRNAV would encourage reporting fuel prices on
all airports free of charge. I tried to contact AIRNAV regarding this
new policy but have received no replies.

Maybe somebody with the right capabilities could build a mirror web
site so we could publish the fuel prices.

If you know any other web site which publish the fuel prices on all
airports please let us know.
Old January 29th 04, 07:49 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Victor wrote:
... of new FBOs. Apparently they will only publish prices for FBOs
that have a subscription with them.

Well eventually he'll make it useless enough that someone else
replicates the service. I never did like the way nearby attractions
were cataloged. For example, I tried to add beach access information
for a few coastal Oregon airports, but that never turned up.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 29th 04, 12:38 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Tyler said:
Fuel prices at most of the airports within 50 miles of me are listed. I'm not
sure that all of them have a "subscription" with Airnav.

Last year, AirNav contacted me (as representative of my flying club) and
gave me a year to pony up some extremely high listing fee or get dropped
from their listing. Checking the fact that in the previous month only one
person had come to our club web site through the AirNav listing (versus
10-20 a day through Google) we declined to be listed.

I suspect your local FBOs are probably in their 1 year waiting period.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the
Old January 29th 04, 03:11 PM
Jay Honeck

Last year, AirNav contacted me (as representative of my flying club) and
gave me a year to pony up some extremely high listing fee or get dropped
from their listing. Checking the fact that in the previous month only one
person had come to our club web site through the AirNav listing (versus
10-20 a day through Google) we declined to be listed.

Paulo (Airnav's webmaster) did the same with us, and we ponied up.

He has a great website, and I use it almost daily for one thing or another.
I think their listing fee works out to something less than 60 cents a day --
something I was glad to pay for such a valuable service.

For a flying club I suppose only "click-throughs" matter. FBO owners,
however, need to be looking at their listing from an exposure standpoint.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 29th 04, 03:42 PM
ASJ

It's amazing to watch all these people turn against AirNav. I use the site
every time I was doing long distance planning. The FBO list and the
comments were the best part of it. The site is simple, fast and works
well. (for people on slow dialup lines at home or traveling simple is
really good!)

I clicked on "add new fbo" and it listed the basic listing as $20/year.
This certainly isn't going to break the bank at any fbo.

I hope he doesn't start loosing lists as that's one the main uses I have for
the site. That said it costs money to run it and he has to make money
somehow. Maybe this will work for him, maybe not? I certainly hope it
doesn't go away!

-Andrew

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, Tyler said:
Fuel prices at most of the airports within 50 miles of me are listed. I'm
not sure that all of them have a "subscription" with Airnav.

Last year, AirNav contacted me (as representative of my flying club) and
gave me a year to pony up some extremely high listing fee or get dropped
from their listing. Checking the fact that in the previous month only one
person had come to our club web site through the AirNav listing (versus
10-20 a day through Google) we declined to be listed.

I suspect your local FBOs are probably in their 1 year waiting period.

--
Andrew Stanley-Jones | "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
EE, LongEz N87KJ | -- Walt Disney
Old January 29th 04, 08:55 PM
John Galban

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:go9Sb.50241$U%5.270242@attbi_s03...

He has a great website, and I use it almost daily for one thing or another.
I think their listing fee works out to something less than 60 cents a day --
something I was glad to pay for such a valuable service.

I think its utility will be a lot less valuable once the "free"
period has expired for all of the GA businesses. The beauty of the
original site was that it had all available info about FBOs and fuel
prices around the country and all of the info came directly from the
horses mouths (us). Once the site is reduced to info about only
businesses that paid up, it ceases to be the all encompassing,
one-stop-shopping resource that it once was. I know more GA business
owners who have declined to pony up, than those who have.

One other issue I have with Airnav's new direction is what will
Paulo do about a crappy business that offers poor service or rips off
customers? If they pay their advertising fee, do they get negative
comments removed from their listing? If not, why would they pay? And
if that were the case, how would we find out about them?

I know running Airnav costs money, I just think this new direction
kills off the core of what made Airnav the best aviation site on the
Internet. I'd rather see banner advertising to pay the bills.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 29th 04, 09:22 PM
Jay Honeck

One other issue I have with Airnav's new direction is what will
Paulo do about a crappy business that offers poor service or rips off
customers? If they pay their advertising fee, do they get negative
comments removed from their listing? If not, why would they pay?

I've wondered about that myself. Actually, I've always wondered how Paulo
has survived putting negative comments on his website, without getting sued.

There are some pretty graphic and acidic posts about some businesses.
Someone with a mouth-piece and deep pockets could make Paulo's life very
uncomfortable.

Right after we bought the hotel, I found a bad review of our place on
AirNav. It was, of course (!), from before we bought the place, and was a
really nasty one, written by a guy who claimed that he was "told by a
line-guy to avoid the place."

Paulo of course removed it from his site when he heard we were the new
owners, but THAT'S the kind of third-hand slander that could really get him
in hot water, IMHO.

I feel for Paulo. He's operated this website full-time for a couple of
years, basically "on the house." Now that he's trying to actually make a
buck, everyone is down his throat. I say if an FBO is too damned cheap to
pay for their listing, that alone says enough to me that I will avoid the
place.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Replacing fuel cut-off valve with non-a/c part??? Michael Horowitz Owning 46 January 15th 05 10:20 PM
AIRNAV not publishing fuel prices... Victor Owning 77 February 22nd 04 12:02 AM
AIRNAV not publishing fuel prices... Bob Fry General Aviation 1 February 1st 04 03:47 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Web site for fuel prices? Frode Berg Owning 3 July 11th 03 02:38 PM