The Sun Ship Game and the 1969 US Nationals

Old April 15th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Sun Ship Game and the 1969 US Nationals

I am researching the film 'The Sun Ship Game' which
featured George Moffat and Gleb Derujinsky in the 1969
Sugarbush Regionals in Vermont and the 1969 US Nationals
in Marfa. I would appreciate any recollections of these
two contests and their filming and would especially
like photographs. Can anyone help?

Old April 16th 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I can't help with your research, however when you have
finished would you consider publishing an artical on
www.glider-pilot.co.uk?

Ben

Old April 17th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jon Clarke wrote:
I am researching the film 'The Sun Ship Game' which
featured George Moffat and Gleb Derujinsky in the 1969
Sugarbush Regionals in Vermont and the 1969 US Nationals
in Marfa. I would appreciate any recollections of these
two contests and their filming and would especially
like photographs. Can anyone help?

Jon,

You should talk with Burt Compton at Marfa Gliders. He is a wellspring
of lore about that film. Burt has been in touch with the film-maker in
recent years to duscuss reproduction rights. I bet you could talk with
George and Gleb too. Many of the participants are still around. Burt
has been pretty busy lately but I'd be surprised if he wasn't
lurking...

Better yet, just go down to Marfa for a week, fly around the task area,
meet pilots and townspeople who where there during the film, see the
locations first hand, have a drink in the same bar where the sunburnt
pilots recounted their flights in the film. That is some quality
research!