Air & Space, June/July 2006

Old May 20th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Air & Space, June/July 2006

One would think a premier aviation publication such as Air & Space would
get basic facts correct.

Page 13, In Memoriam, paragraph one...
"...Scott Crossfieldk 84 was killed las April when flying his
twin-engine Cessna 210A..."
Old May 20th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"john smith" wrote in message
One would think a premier aviation publication such as Air & Space would
get basic facts correct.

Page 13, In Memoriam, paragraph one...
"...Scott Crossfieldk 84 was killed las April when flying his
twin-engine Cessna 210A..."

The 1/2 page article also referenced the movie "The Right Stuff", where the
article stated "In the film, the X-15 shakes violently as it approaches Mach
2..." Um, sorry Sparky, the X-15 didn't appear in the movie. I'm surprised
either error got past the editor.

Kind of sad to make two factual errors in a 1/2 page article.

Old May 20th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
One would think a premier aviation publication such as Air & Space would
get basic facts correct.

Page 13, In Memoriam, paragraph one...
"...Scott Crossfieldk 84 was killed las April when flying his
twin-engine Cessna 210A..."

The 1/2 page article also referenced the movie "The Right Stuff", where
the article stated "In the film, the X-15 shakes violently as it
approaches Mach 2..." Um, sorry Sparky, the X-15 didn't appear in the
movie. I'm surprised either error got past the editor.

Kind of sad to make two factual errors in a 1/2 page article.

Well if Air & Space is anything like the rest of corporate America and
like the company I work for, then they have outsourced their magazine
to India where they may or may not get the facts straight.

David - Any typos are not necessarily the fault of responder due to
outsourcing this
response was not sent out be me.

Old May 20th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message
One would think a premier aviation publication such as Air & Space would
get basic facts correct.

Page 13, In Memoriam, paragraph one...
"...Scott Crossfieldk 84 was killed las April when flying his
twin-engine Cessna 210A..."

The 1/2 page article also referenced the movie "The Right Stuff", where the
article stated "In the film, the X-15 shakes violently as it approaches Mach
2..." Um, sorry Sparky, the X-15 didn't appear in the movie. I'm surprised
either error got past the editor.

I had the pleasure of meeting Scott Crossfield almost a year ago. He mentioned
that he had never seen the film, The Right Stuff, and had no intention of ever
doing so, as he found out that there were so many inaccuracies in its
portrayal. He did mention the book was fairly accurate. I did see the Right
Stuff film and thought it was kind of cheesy all around, but it was nice that
Hollywood was paying attention to the efforts of the great test pilots.

He also referred to the "Best selling author and humorist Chuck Yeager."

Old May 20th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT outsourcing

Ok, here's my "outsource" story of the week...
We pack our packages of potatoes on pallets, an industry sorespot. So some
chain stores request Chep pallets... the blue pallets that come from Chep
Co, a pallet rental company which is based in Australia, but has operations
world wide... So the other day I order a load of pallets from them....

It is scheduled to load in Quebec, Canada and the dispatcher calls me
speaking broken French...

He conferences me with a truckdriver, who is obviously Indian...

So, I get Australian pallets from Canada through a guy that speaks French,
hauled to me by a guy from India just so my Mexican employees can pack
potatoes on them because my American customer is afraid that his American
customers or employees might injure themselves on a cheap American pallet
and get sued by a high priced American lawyer.

The whole thing sounds totally anti-American, but it looks like the rest of
the world is getting rich from it!

Jim

Old May 21st 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Hey, In the previous issue they said I was flying a Cessna 150 with a 1/4 keg of beer, when in fact it was a Cherokee
140 with a 1/2 keg.

was that the single engine 140 or the twin?

Old May 22nd 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The whole thing sounds totally anti-American, but it looks like the rest
of
the world is getting rich from it!

Hilarious!

So why can't we (Americans, that is) make our *own* fancy pallets? Surely
it's got to be cheaper to make them here, than to ship them from Australia,
via Canada?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 22nd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:VJhcg.984538$xm3.569579
@attbi_s21:

The whole thing sounds totally anti-American, but it looks like the rest
of
the world is getting rich from it!

Hilarious!

So why can't we (Americans, that is) make our *own* fancy pallets? Surely
it's got to be cheaper to make them here, than to ship them from Australia,
via Canada?

Cuz there'd probably have to be some union (carpentry?) demanding 20 bucks
an hour to start, two weeks paid vacation, medical/dental/vision coverage
for the whole family, all federal holidays off (and a few foreign ones as
well), 10 (or more) sick days/year...paid, full retirement benefits for
life at 100% last payrate, etc....etc....etc....

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old May 23rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The whole thing sounds totally anti-American, but it looks like the rest
of
the world is getting rich from it!

Hilarious!

So why can't we (Americans, that is) make our *own* fancy pallets? Surely
it's got to be cheaper to make them here, than to ship them from
Australia, via Canada?

It's cheaper to build and ship just about everything else so why not
pallets.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA