Flaps on take-off and landing

Old September 15th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 02:16:58 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

Sometimes if one must
descend rapidly just idling the throttle doesn't seem to be enough to
stay below hazardous speeds,

In those situations, you can descend by flying slowly (slower than Vx)
on the other side of the knee in the curve, but you must remain above
stall speed.

Old September 14th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
I lower the flaps for the preflight inspection so that I
can properly inspect the flap mechanisms, but then retract them after
engine
start and before taxiing.

Doesn't flap movement require engine power?

Since I extend them prior to engine start in that case, obviously not.

The idea is to try to approach real life. Additionally, many things
are simulated. If adjusting flaps has a bad effect in real life,
there's a good chance that it has a bad effect in simulation as well.

But if there is a bad effect in simulation as well, you live to tell about
it and you get a brand-spanking-new airplane to try it again. If "a bad
effect in simulation" is your concern, why not just try it in the simulation
and see what happens?

The bottom line here is that there are no hard and fast rules for what
you're asking. Do what you want.

Pete

Old September 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Peter Duniho writes:

But if there is a bad effect in simulation as well, you live to tell about
it and you get a brand-spanking-new airplane to try it again. If "a bad
effect in simulation" is your concern, why not just try it in the simulation
and see what happens?

I like to occasionally verify that what happens in the sim is a
reflection of real life and not an artifact of the simulator.
Nowadays the basic flight models are generally error free, but some
details of behavior for specific aircraft are not necessarily exactly
correct.

Old September 14th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

The idea is to try to approach real life.

Why?

You've stated you don't want to experience real flight, so what's the point?

Just have a good time.

Old September 15th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

Why?

You've stated you don't want to experience real flight, so what's the point?

Approaching real life and experiencing it are two different things.
Simulation offers many of the advantages of real flight (to the extent
that it simulates them) without most of the disadvantages.

This is common to all simulation systems, not just aviation
simulations. It's the reason why full-motion simulators are used to
train pilots, instead of real aircraft.

Old September 14th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:54:28 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

Peter Duniho writes:

IMHO, since you're not actually flying an airplane, I wouldn't worry about
it. Put the flaps down whenever you want.

The idea is to try to approach real life. Additionally, many things
are simulated. If adjusting flaps has a bad effect in real life,
there's a good chance that it has a bad effect in simulation as well.

Are you aware that you are discussing this with one of the programmers
who wrote MS Flight Simulator?

Old September 15th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

Are you aware that you are discussing this with one of the programmers
who wrote MS Flight Simulator?

No, but why would that make any difference?

Old September 15th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 02:20:22 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

Larry Dighera writes:

Are you aware that you are discussing this with one of the programmers
who wrote MS Flight Simulator?

No, but why would that make any difference?

It was just a bit of information I offered. I was thinking you might
want to take avail yourself of the opportunity to discuss the product
he helped create and you enjoy so much.

Old September 15th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
Are you aware that you are discussing this with one of the programmers
who wrote MS Flight Simulator?

Oh, who? The original version or one of the more recent ones? I remember
somewhere around v1 there was this "feature" that if you went inverted and
"dove" towards the sky, you had a *very* good climb rate and speed... Great
"feature" during the dogfight scenario since you could thereby climb
considerably faster than all the other aircraft that were trying to shoot
you down...

Old September 15th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Grumman-581" writes:

Oh, who? The original version or one of the more recent ones? I remember
somewhere around v1 there was this "feature" that if you went inverted and
"dove" towards the sky, you had a *very* good climb rate and speed... Great
"feature" during the dogfight scenario since you could thereby climb
considerably faster than all the other aircraft that were trying to shoot
you down...

It hasn't worked that way in a long time.

I remember when it was impossible to flare on landing. You landed
nose down, and as soon as the gear touched the runway, you were flat
and level. Today, however, it's just about identical to real life,
even down to the inherent bounce in the gear (or the airframe).