Oshkosh: Kiwi launches $130,000 jetpack: Up, up and away

Old July 29th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default Oshkosh: Kiwi launches $130,000 jetpack: Up, up and away

Hi, I'm from Christchurch, and I'd like to know if any folk at Oshkosh
might be able to post some video or pics of this guy "doing his thing"
tomorrow.

Kiwi launches $130,000 jetpack: Up, up and away
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4635822a11.html

Kiwi inventor makes aviation history
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1316907/1952597

There is a wee video on the tvnz page to look at.

--
Duncan
Old July 29th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GillesK

Dave Doe wrote:

Hi, I'm from Christchurch, and I'd like to know if any folk at Oshkosh
might be able to post some video or pics of this guy "doing his thing"
tomorrow.

I bet he'll be relieved : "Mr Martin, 48, told the New York Times he had
spent 227 years developing [...]"
:-)

Old July 29th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GillesK

Dave Doe wrote:

Hi, I'm from Christchurch, and I'd like to know if any folk at Oshkosh
might be able to post some video or pics of this guy "doing his thing"
tomorrow.

To keep you waiting :
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/...ca/jetpack.php

Old July 30th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"GillesK" wrote in message
Dave Doe wrote:

Hi, I'm from Christchurch, and I'd like to know if any folk at Oshkosh
might be able to post some video or pics of this guy "doing his thing"
tomorrow.

I bet he'll be relieved : "Mr Martin, 48, told the New York Times he had
spent 227 years developing [...]"
:-)

Probably has something to do with the exchange rate between NZ years and US
years. ?!? Kinda like "dog-years", etc...
Maybe not. (shrug)

TP

Old July 30th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"GillesK" wrote

To keep you waiting :
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/...ca/jetpack.php

Believe it or not, ABC had a short story and video of it flying at Oshkosh.
They billed it as "an air show in Wisconsin" or was it "an air show in
Oshkosh, Wisconsin?" Nothing to say about how big of a deal Oshkosh is. :-(

It still only flew a few feet off the ground, with a couple people holding
onto the skids for stabilization.

I gotta ask, what is keeping them from having self stabilized flight? It
seems like a couple rate gyros and servos attached to some vanes would have
this thing flying truly solo. For heavens sakes, this is common technology
in the remote control helicopter world, and some other ducted fan RC flying
"thingies" I have seen flying.

I applaud the achievements of him and his machine, but have to wonder why he
has not taken the next step.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 30th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote

I applaud the achievements of him and his machine, but have to wonder why
he has not taken the next step.

After reading what I wrote, I fear it may come off as being insensitive.

I do understand the need to proceed carefully, as to keep from getting
someone killed, since a flying machine like this has a flight envelope that
would be very unforgiving of a mechanical failure at some points in
transition.

I was just voicing puzzlement, and wondering what the technical difficulties
are in achieving controlled hover, and when the time is right, transition to
flying at much higher altitudes and speeds.

Oh, and when the jetpack (bad name, IMHO) is fully functional, if someone
gives me the purchase price (like that's gonna happen ;-) ) put my name on
the waiting list to buy one! g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 30th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

In article , says...

[...]

Me too - they had another article on NZ news tonight - it didn't look
very impressive to me - hovering a few feet off the ground (is it only
capable of ground effect flight I wonder?), and with guys hanging onto
the landing bars. Hmmm... few more years needed there methinks.

--
Duncan
Old July 30th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 31, 1:26 am, Dave Doe wrote:
[...]

Well if you consider the hours that the Harrier spent in tethered
flight before it was let loose this machine is doing well.
However, I wouldn't like to be the test pilot.

Old July 31st 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Morgans" wrote in message
It still only flew a few feet off the ground, with a couple people holding
onto the skids for stabilization.

I saw the video on network TV, and I didn't notice anything that I would call
"flight". It looked like the thrust from the ducted fans was carrying much of
the weight, and some big guys were doing the rest.

I don't want to minimize anything that this fellow has accomplished so far,
but I found myself wondering where the news story was.

Vaughn

Old July 31st 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Jul 30, 6:10 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message

... It still only flew a few feet off the ground, with a couple people holding
onto the skids for stabilization.

I saw the video on network TV, and I didn't notice anything that I would call
"flight". It looked like the thrust from the ducted fans was carrying much of
the weight, and some big guys were doing the rest.

Did the tv show the amount of people that booo'ed him?

kiwi aeros 5 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 14 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 12 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 16 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 15 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM