Long Angel Flight tomorrow

Old May 5th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Long Angel Flight tomorrow

"muff528" wrote in message

I'm taking the second of three legs. Flying from Mobile to Vicksburg, MS,
picking up a single pax and dropping her off in Marianna, FL, then back to
BFM.

I thought that BF was in "E". I didn't know there was also one in "M" !?!

Sorry, TP :-)

BFM *is* in BFE.

Old May 5th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"muff528" wrote in message

I'm taking the second of three legs. Flying from Mobile to Vicksburg,
MS, picking up a single pax and dropping her off in Marianna, FL, then
back to BFM.

I thought that BF was in "E". I didn't know there was also one in "M" !?!

Sorry, TP :-)

BFM *is* in BFE.

Oh!....must be one of the suburbs..

Old May 6th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Matt Whiting wrote:
You know, I wouldn't mind donating my time but I'm a renter. I can't afford
to just buy them trips.

You think owners have a less costly situation than renters? That is
truly funny! :-)

No, but I believe if you can afford to own your own, you probably can afford to
fly.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old May 6th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Friedrich Ostertag wrote:
However, isn't it that the motivation for angel flights is largely "I want
to fly, and rather than just go for a 100$ Burger I could just as well help
somebody out while doing it". Viewed like this there isn't really much
difference whether you rent or own the plane you use for AF.

The problem isn't the $100 hamburger, it's the $500-$1000 one. It runs me just
over $100 per hour to rent a C-172. $100 would allow me to fly somebody maybe
50 NM... not much of an angel flight.

Hell, I don't work Monday through Friday. Time isn't the issue at all. The 2
twelve hour shifts I put in every Saturday and Sunday only go so far. I could
always work more, but since I hate the work, I've made this choice. I work to
pay my bills and little beyond that motivates me any more.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old May 6th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

Hell, I don't work Monday through Friday. Time isn't the issue at all.
The 2 twelve hour shifts I put in every Saturday and Sunday only go so
far. I could always work more, but since I hate the work, I've made this
choice. I work to pay my bills and little beyond that motivates me any
more.

Hey, sounds like you'd fit right into the skydiving community........except
for that
working on weekends part. :-)
BS, TP

Old May 6th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Kobra" wrote:

On a trip by trip basis we do.

The fixed costs are already sunk, so we get to fly for the cost of
fuel, oil. In my Cherokee that's about $40/hr, substantially less
than the ~$100/hr they want for renting the 172s at the local FBO.

BS!!! How about engine amorization and maintainence amorization. You can
add about 17 bucks per hour for the engine and about 30 smackers for the
maintainence amorization. With fuel at 4.40 a gallon and 9 gph on average
and through in another dollar for oil you have about 87 to 88 dollars per
hour true cost.

The first hour I fly my cherokee 140, it's about $3500. After that, my 140
is about $40/hour, including fuel and engine reserve (the annual is included
in the $3500).

ymmv

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 6th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Now if we can just figure out how to make that first hour a charitable
flight and then convince the IRS of our math.... man, we could almost fly
for free. (Please let me dream - don't burst my bubble yet...)

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old May 6th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:21:27 GMT, Matt Whiting

The fixed costs are already sunk, so we get to fly for the cost of
fuel, oil. In my Cherokee that's about $40/hr, substantially less
than the ~$100/hr they want for renting the 172s at the local FBO.

Hey! Don't do that analysis in public. I've got my spouse believing that the
more I fly, the less the hourly cost.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old May 6th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message

No, but I believe if you can afford to own your own, you probably can
afford to fly.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I could afford to fly when I was renting too. If you fly at all, charity
flights are a pretty good excuse. If you go out to just fly for the fun of
it, then you can easily substitute one of those flights with a charity
flight.
--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old May 6th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Friedrich Ostertag

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Friedrich Ostertag wrote:
However, isn't it that the motivation for angel flights is largely
"I want to fly, and rather than just go for a 100$ Burger I could
just as well help somebody out while doing it". Viewed like this
there isn't really much difference whether you rent or own the plane
you use for AF.

The problem isn't the $100 hamburger, it's the $500-$1000 one. It
runs me just over $100 per hour to rent a C-172. $100 would allow me
to fly somebody maybe 50 NM... not much of an angel flight.

Yes, I can see that, fair enough. As I said my take was that angel flights
are mainly conducted by pilots who would have flown the respective time for
enjoyment anyway, and instead of just picking a random destinations turn it
into something useful. If somebody uses AF as an "excuse" to fly more than
he would have otherwise and can afford it - good for him, but nobody will
expect that.

regards,
Friedrich

Angel Flight Wizard of Draws Piloting 7 November 14th 06 03:08 PM
Another XC Flight tomorrow CareBear Piloting 0 October 8th 06 12:15 AM
Angel Flight George Piloting 53 January 30th 06 01:24 AM
Angel Flight Steven Barnes Piloting 3 September 24th 04 02:58 PM
Flight restrictions around Reno tomorrow, Thursday, June 18 Dan Dunkel Soaring 0 June 17th 04 09:45 PM