'Good' Annual This Year

Old July 22nd 03, 01:46 PM
Ben Smith

Default 'Good' Annual This Year

Thought I'd make a quick post about our annual this year. Came in just over
$1k, for the normal inspection, plus:

New EGT probe (EGT was inop)
New Brackett air filter housing. (Due to AD?)
ELT Battery
Gaskets... #1, #2, & #3 valve covers, dipstick tube, both mags, and pushrod
tubes on #1.
New Voltage Regulator. (we had intermittant charging problems)
'Installed' autogas STC, filed paperwork, etc.

About 16.5 hours of labor all together. Another lucky year!

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old July 22nd 03, 09:25 PM
Jay Honeck

Thought I'd make a quick post about our annual this year. Came in just
over
$1k, for the normal inspection, plus:

Good job, Ben. We had our first really "good "one ever, this year, at
around $700.00.

Another couple of those, and it will make up for that first $4900.00 one!

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 22nd 03, 11:50 PM
Jim Vadek

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
Thought I'd make a quick post about our annual this year. Came in just

over
$1k, for the normal inspection, plus:

New EGT probe (EGT was inop)
New Brackett air filter housing. (Due to AD?)
ELT Battery
Gaskets... #1, #2, & #3 valve covers, dipstick tube, both mags, and

pushrod
tubes on #1.
New Voltage Regulator. (we had intermittant charging problems)
'Installed' autogas STC, filed paperwork, etc.

About 16.5 hours of labor all together. Another lucky year!

16.5 hours for a thorough inspection with all the manufacturer's checklist
items completed?

Old July 22nd 03, 11:59 PM
Ben Smith

Yes, the airframe and engine logbooks state that approved checklists were
used. Why, is 16.5 not enough time for a 172?

"Jim Vadek" wrote

Old July 23rd 03, 12:09 AM
Jim Vadek

"Rosspilot" wrote in message

About 16.5 hours of labor all together. Another lucky year!

16.5 hours for a thorough inspection with all the manufacturer's

checklist
items completed?

I've always hated the entire concept of paying anybody for anything by the

hour
unless we're talking about assembly line widget-making.

I pay a flat rate for the inspection and then per hour + parts after that.

People have no incentive to work efficiently and with optimum productivity

when
they are charging by the hour. Quite the contrary. It's in their interest

work as slowly as possible.

I agree.

I know for a fact that I can accomplish a tremendous amount of quality

work in
an hour, frequently multi-tasking, and fitting everything in. People have
different capabilities.

16.5 hours is more than 2 entire workdays. Are you suggesting that a man
cannot work on ONE Skyhawk for 2 full days (exclusively) and NOT complete

the
annual inspection checklist? Why not?

Nope. Don't get me wrong... I am certainly not saying that 16.5 is too
short... it is just that my owner experience is around 25 hours with some
preventative maintenance items thrown in if nothing else comes up during the
inspection.

Old July 23rd 03, 12:10 AM
Jim Vadek

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
Yes, the airframe and engine logbooks state that approved checklists were
used. Why, is 16.5 not enough time for a 172?

"Jim Vadek" wrote
16.5 hours for a thorough inspection with all the manufacturer's

checklist
items completed?

I created the wrong impression, sorry. That is good time for an annual and
the reason I asked the question is that mine runs about 25 hours with
preventative stuff thrown in.

Old July 23rd 03, 12:22 AM
JimC

Most A&Ps I know would say that 16.5 hours is enough to do the job. Sounds
like you had a pretty good year.

I find that I am always fixing something during the year in addition to
whatever is done during the annual. Sometime I will have to go through all
the logs and figure out what the real annualized costs are for my
maintenance. The result would of course fall under the rules of "double
secret probation" and not be shared with the wife : -)

Old July 23rd 03, 12:35 AM
Hankal

Another couple of those, and it will make up for that first $4900.00 one!

My first one was $14,380.00
This year it was $400.00
Of course a different shop
Hank N1441P
Old July 23rd 03, 06:04 AM
Jeff

damn, my shop charges $1100 for the inspection alone. then its like 65$ an hour
to fix the gigs. My annual 2 months ago was $5000.00 on my Turbo Arrow III, most
was in parts and labor for the gear and some seals in the engine that needed
replaced. They also charged me 35$ to put in in my tires.

Ben Smith wrote:

Thought I'd make a quick post about our annual this year. Came in just over
$1k, for the normal inspection, plus:

New EGT probe (EGT was inop)
New Brackett air filter housing. (Due to AD?)
ELT Battery
Gaskets... #1, #2, & #3 valve covers, dipstick tube, both mags, and pushrod
tubes on #1.
New Voltage Regulator. (we had intermittant charging problems)
'Installed' autogas STC, filed paperwork, etc.

About 16.5 hours of labor all together. Another lucky year!

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Free Volksplane to good home, located in Chino Hills CA Bryan Zinn Home Built 3 July 18th 04 02:55 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
bulding a kitplane maybe Van's RV9A --- a good idea ????? Flightdeck Home Built 10 September 9th 03 07:20 PM
It's that time of year again. Capt. Doug Home Built 19 September 3rd 03 10:53 PM