NASA Shuttle pics

Old August 19th 08, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

Default NASA Shuttle pics

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:59:55 -0400, Sj wrote
(in article ):

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:26:58 GMT, Casey Tompkins
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 00:59:12 -0400, hielan' laddie
wrote:

A good feed costs as little as $8/month. A good newsreader costs under
$30,
and may even be _free_. (Forte Agent is $30, Forte Free Agent and MTNW are
_free_.) And, news flash for those who depend on their ISPs for a
newsfeed...
thanks to that idiot in New York, many American ISPs are going to be
dropping
USENET feeds Real Soon Now. Y'all had best find a cheap feed which is
independent of your ISP, and be quick about it, or you may lose access to
USENET... period.

RoadRunner dropped EVERYTHING at the end of June. They no longer
provide ANY access to usenet. Verizon took out the entire
alt.hierarchy, and other major providers followed.

Thank you New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, you meddling,
nanny-state Nazi.

laddie: what's MTNW? Always ready to check out a new reader.

Googling shows it to be this:

http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

Sj

Yeah, that's it.

Old August 19th 08, 07:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

We can't all afford decent cars, but we don't go complaining when
someone overtakes us.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 02:30:47 GMT, "Dallas"
wrote:

Ive stayed out of this as long as I can... Pete, Not all of us have great
access to newsgroups. Some of us are on fixed incomes and cannot afford
access thru pay usenet sites... Most of us probaly get our usenet thru our
isps which usualy do not have more then 24 hours retention or so many
posts...... I know these floods keep knocking a lot of the other great
posts off my server as I see the replies to them but the original posts got
flooded out..... It is not a matter of just not downloading..... It is
just plain inconsiderate.......

Dallas

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:11:23 +0200, JRW wrote:

Ron Monroe wrote:
It's not a question of downloading, or not. It's a question of going
through
400 or 500 posts at a time, looking for something you really want to
look
at. I don't want to spend hours, days and weeks putting together photos,
and
then sorting them out. I have other things to do. So, I am looking for
other
subjects. Think of it like getting a thousand pieces of junk mail in
your
snail mail mailbox, but one of the pieces of mail, is actually a bill.
You
have to go through all of them to find it, before you throw everything
out.

And there is absolutely no consideration for those who are asking not to
flood. It's like he is saying, "I don't care what you want, I'm going to
give you what I want, whether you like it or not." I still ask, if a few
people want them, why doesn't he send them to those people, directly?
how
many are there, five? Oh, it might be inconvenient for him, or you, so,
guess it's alright to do it this way, and make it inconvenient for
everyone
else.

It seems that people always want to do what is convenient for
themselves,
they don't care how it affects the other guy. Those other guys, are
"whining".

So, there is now a flood of people that are complaining. Well, you don't
have to download them, do you? Seems simple enough to me.

"hielan' laddie" wrote in message

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:58:51 -0400, B. Hedd wrote
(in article ):

Lee wrote:

"B. Hedd" wrote in
:

What does one do with 5 gigabytes of shuttle pics? Do you spend a
few hours over the course of three or four evenings admiring them?
Or
do you spread it out to viewing them for 1/2 hour daily for a month
or
so?

Do you go back a couple of times a year and admire them again?

Sorry to hurt your delicate sensibilities. I also have about
10.5 gigs of aircraft pictures. Is that OK?

It's absolutely OK... What you put on your computer is your business.

I'm just curious as to what you do with them.

I go over older pix to look for differences and updates... you know,
the
way
he stated he did but you snipped out without marking the snip.

"As example, just how many upgrades have been made to the shuttle
cockpit
since the early 80's? Well, now I have photographic information."

Some of us are interested in the history of aviation in general and of
particular systems in particular.

I also go over pix looking for a particularly good shot and then use
them
make various items, including but not limited to my own calendars and
other
hardcopy. (so I have pinups of Lancasters and Vulcans and Lightenings,
the
latter including Lockheed, English Electric, and Mitsubishi products,
instead
of nekkid girls... sue me.)

J3's stuff will give me hours, days, weeks, worth of work to go through
and
sort out and catalogue and drop onto a DVD. After that, I'll be able to
find
any one of the pix in a matter of seconds.

But, hey, if you don't like 'em, don't download 'em. Seems simple
enough
me.

I offered the suggestion he post them in alt.binaries.pictures.misc
It's an underused newsgroup and he can post to his hearts content there
and satisfy both those that want and those that do not.
Since "pictures newsgroups" do not have a "floods" group this is a
simple solution and he is still posting "on subject" in the misc group.
))
Win-Win situation.
All that he would need to do is tell us here in the group that he's
posting there.
A newsgroup is a newsgroup, what's the difference if he just posts them
in the misc group.

What's the ****ing difference? If you don't want them, don't download
them. NOBODY IS ASKING YOU TO!
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

A man was sipping a drink in a bar when he noticed an attractive woman
seated beside him. His interest must have been obvious because the
bartender suddenly loomed over him and said, "Don't get any ideas about
that girl, bud. That's
my wife."
The fellow replied, "Who's getting ideas? I just came in for a piece of
beer."

Join the Navy and feel a man!