Microsoft strikes again

Old November 29th 10, 09:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek Aaviso

Default Microsoft strikes again

I have used Windows Live Mail for a while and it handled binary newsgroups
reasonably well. i.e. click on a message and the message and any contained
picture would pop up.

Now the geniuses at Microsoft have come up with an "improved" version of
WLM. This requires me to double click on a message to bring up a thumbnail
image and I then have to double click on the thumbnail to bring up Windows
Photo Viewer so that I can actually see the image properly. After that,
unless I want myriad sessions of WPV running, I have to close the viewer and
close the thumbnail pane to begin the whole rigmarole once more for the
next image. Mumble, chunter, grumble......

There does not seem to be an easy way to revert to the previous version of
WLM

Am I being ultra-dense, or is there an alternative?

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old November 29th 10, 09:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bill & Ange

The only alternative is to go through another browser like Firefox. I've got
Windows 7 on my laptop and hate trying to go through the Live mail to get to
the newsgroups. There are some stand-alones that you can access, but I
haven't checked them out myself yet.

Old November 29th 10, 11:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
none@given

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:34:42 -0500, "Bill & Ange"
wrote:

The only alternative is to go through another browser like Firefox.

The real only alternative is to use a proper binary newsreader. Agent
for light use and text groups, something like Newsbin or Newsleecher
for proper binary downloading.
Old November 30th 10, 12:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Trajan[_2_]

Hi Indrek,
Was this a recent update?
I'm using WLM and not seeing (literally) what you're describing.
I've been using it for a couple years, no changes yet.
Have you posted the question at the MS newsgroup for WLM?
Take care,
Bill Wolcott

Old November 30th 10, 01:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_4_]

wrote:

The only alternative is to go through another browser like Firefox.

The real only alternative is to use a proper binary newsreader. Agent
for light use and text groups, something like Newsbin or Newsleecher
for proper binary downloading.

(I know I'm going to regret this, even before saying it....) How do you
define "proper"?
Old November 30th 10, 01:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek Aaviso

"Trajan" wrote in message
news

The problem surfaced a couple of weeks ago.

My WLM is Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3502.0922)., but I can't remember exactly
when the update occurred.

There has been no response to my query about this on the Microsoft WLM
newsgroup, though I did read a lot of negative comments about the new
version. It appears that there is a way to revert to the older 2009 version
which I will attempt tomorrow. Stay tuned for the next exciting installment
of this ongoing saga. ;-)

Old November 30th 10, 02:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Trajan[_2_]

Gotcha Indrek, thx. I'll have to keep my eye's peeled for that update and
avoid it.
I've got Version 2009.
Bill Wolcott

Old November 30th 10, 12:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustY ©

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
ond.com...
The real only alternative is to use a proper binary newsreader.

(I know I'm going to regret this, even before saying it....) How do you
define "proper"?

That's a tricky question to answer until you have experienced a 'proper' or
'dedicated' newsreader. But Outlook Express and Win Live only have partial
support for newsreading so the word 'proper' is appropriate here. A
newsreader should assemble multi posts for you, it should allow multiple
pictures to be saved to your chosen folder and it should allow multiple pics
to be selected from a folder and posted easily. Now I require yEnc
encoding/decoding too so OE is often unsuitable but a dedicated newsreader
handles all this and more.

This was posted using OE6 which is great for text messages and OK for the
odd picture download but if you want to download a series it's a real pain.
I use Xnews, its free and does the job but there are plenty of free
newsreaders out there. Do try one you'll be glad you took the time to learn
how to use it.

Old November 30th 10, 01:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mr. Frugal

"RustY ©" wrote in
:

snipped

[...]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! Been using it *without complaint* for about 20 years!

How many other programs are useful beyond 3-5 years?

2 strikes Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 2 February 10th 10 09:07 AM
Prop Strikes [email protected] Piloting 73 February 21st 05 06:53 PM
CBS "News" strikes AGAIN David H Owning 124 January 29th 04 03:37 AM
CBS "News" strikes AGAIN David H Piloting 139 January 29th 04 03:37 AM
the moron strikes again tony zambon Piloting 11 August 3rd 03 03:47 AM