Over the hump...

Old January 7th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Over the hump...

The days are getting longer again, finally. We're now gaining a minute of
daylight per day, and accelerating...

Only 6 months, 2 weeks, and 5 days to OSH '06!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 8th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

temps in the high 60s..
moderate SW winds producing ridge and some wave lift..
motorless flights with altitude gains exceeding 5000ft possible..
wondering the valley in the sunshine.. at will... no motor

what a way to start a year..

BT

Old January 8th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The days are getting longer again, finally. We're now gaining a minute
of daylight per day, and accelerating...

I actually wrote a spreadsheet which calculates the length of the day. I
really track it in the winter, 'cause on workdays I leave home before sunup
and get home after dark... Modearately depressing and I always look forward
to more daylight.

The weather near Atlanta today was wonderful. 60+ degrees with the wind down
the runway. I went to Tennessee to do a Tech Counselor inspection for a
friend building an RV-9. My only complaint was the 50 knot headwind on the
way home...

Old January 8th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:8zPvf.470750$084.341204@attbi_s22...
The days are getting longer again, finally. We're now gaining a minute of daylight per day, and
accelerating...

I actually wrote a spreadsheet which calculates the length of the day. I really track it in the winter,
'cause on workdays I leave home before sunup

Yes, but IIRC the afternoons are still getting shorter for a while yet, even as the days are getting longer...

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old January 9th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes, but IIRC the afternoons are still getting shorter for a while yet,
even as the days are getting longer...

I believe those of us in the Southwest have actually turned the corner and
that and sunset is getting later each day now.
BT

Old January 9th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I actually wrote a spreadsheet which calculates the length of the day. I
really track it in the winter, 'cause on workdays I leave home before
sunup and get home after dark... Modearately depressing and I always look
forward to more daylight.

I just go to the US Naval Observatory Web page.. input lat long and print
the resulting web page.. it is the SunRise SunSet schedule for the entire
year based on Lat Long
BT

Old January 9th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I actually wrote a spreadsheet which calculates the length of the day. I
really track it in the winter, 'cause on workdays I leave home before
sunup and get home after dark... Modearately depressing and I always
look forward to more daylight.

I just go to the US Naval Observatory Web page.. input lat long and print
the resulting web page.. it is the SunRise SunSet schedule for the entire
year based on Lat Long
BT

I don't need no steekin' Naval Observatory. I've got my spreadsheet. Even if
the internet goes completely TU, I, and I alone will know sunrise, sunset,
and the length of any day of the year at my house.

Bwahahahaha...

Anyway, doing the math was good mental exercise.

KB

Old January 9th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What ever happened to the trusty old Almanac...............

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Old January 9th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"BTIZ" wrote in message news:Zliwf.8760$V.6192@fed1read04...

Yes, but IIRC the afternoons are still getting shorter for a while yet, even as the days are getting
longer...

I believe those of us in the Southwest have actually turned the corner and that and sunset is getting later
each day now.
BT

I think I had that backwards anyway.... it's the mornings that are getting shorter (sunrise later, even though
the days are getting longer)...

John