Torque wrenches...

Old January 10th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Torque wrenches...

Anyone know any good sources for these.

It seems like I will be needing a nice repeatable one in the 5-100 in/lb range for 10-32 screws and nuts. I am not sure
what the torque is that I will be using, the screws are AN509-R10 (MS24694 #10) and the nuts are MS21040-3. I have seen
from 20 in/lbs to 60 in/lbs for these.

TIA

--
Dan DeVillers
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old January 10th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

..Blueskies. wrote:
Anyone know any good sources for these.

It seems like I will be needing a nice repeatable one in the 5-100 in/lb range for 10-32 screws and nuts. I am not sure
what the torque is that I will be using, the screws are AN509-R10 (MS24694 #10) and the nuts are MS21040-3. I have seen
from 20 in/lbs to 60 in/lbs for these.

My personal ones are Snap-On's. All of ours at work are also Snap-On.
At 20 inchpounds, you are almost down to the point of needing to use
torque watches instead.

Craig

Old January 10th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I concur with Craig. If your'e going to buy a torque wrench, buy a good one
and stay away from Taiwanese junk. I tried that. Bought one from Harbor
Freight (cheap). You get just what you pay for. I suspected that the torques
wern't right and had it checked out by an instrumentation lab at work. Was
repeatably 35 in/lbs over set value. Couldn't set low enough to use and
finally just threw it out. Real bargain. I bought one from Avery Tools for
$150.00 (same as those made for Snap-On). Was right on the money for torque
values. It's your plane and your life on the line. What's it worth?
Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 11th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:31:04 GMT, ".Blueskies."
wrote:

Anyone know any good sources for these.

It seems like I will be needing a nice repeatable one in the 5-100 in/lb range for 10-32 screws and nuts. I am not sure
what the torque is that I will be using, the screws are AN509-R10 (MS24694 #10) and the nuts are MS21040-3. I have seen
from 20 in/lbs to 60 in/lbs for these.

TIA

I paid $aus250 for the smallest australian Warren & Brown.
it is a round section tempered beam with a separate rectangular
section pointer and a click indicator mechanism. measures 10 - 210
inch pounds.
almost impossible for it to go out of tolerance.
whole thing is under 9 inches long.
almost the only thing I use it for is tightening my prop bolts.
but worth every penny to get these right.

if you are totally stuck in the usa email

Stealth Pilot
australia