Insurance for Cirrus SR20 and SR22

Old March 26th 05, 05:55 PM
Doodybutch

Default Insurance for Cirrus SR20 and SR22

I was thinking about upgrading to a Cirrus if I could scrape the money
together. They're really nice, if you haven't checked one out.

An acquaintance of mine told me that the insurance on these aircraft is much
higher than comparably priced singles because of the ballistic parachutes.
Apparently, once it's deployed the airplane is totaled and there have been a
number of deployments.

I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable would comment on this.

Thanks,

DB

Old March 26th 05, 08:51 PM
John E. Carty

Why not ask Cirrus?:
http://www.cirrusdesign.com/contact/

Old March 27th 05, 12:02 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Doodybutch" wrote in message
I was thinking about upgrading to a Cirrus if I could scrape the money
together. They're really nice, if you haven't checked one out.

An acquaintance of mine told me that the insurance on these aircraft is
much higher than comparably priced singles because of the ballistic
parachutes. Apparently, once it's deployed the airplane is totaled and
there have been a number of deployments.

I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable would comment on this.

Thanks,

DB

The latest AOPA Pilot addresses this directly. For a 500 hour pilot with 100
hours in retracts, and no time in make and model the figures a

2004 Cirrus SR22: $10,800/yr.

2004 Mooney Ovation 2: $6,400

2004 C-182 $3,700

Obviously, the Cirrus carries a penatly, even against the retractable
Mooney. Against the fixed gear Cessna, the difference is more noticable.

KB

Old March 27th 05, 05:24 AM
tony roberts

It isn't totalled after deployment.
Cirrus will rebuild it for $200,000.
Insurance would rather pay $200,000 for a rebuild than pay for dead
bodies.
So am I recommending it?
Hell no. Any plane that has a history of loss of control while on
autopilot at altitude (and then deployment of BRS) needs more
investigating.
Also, I personally am not confident in flying a plane that has no
procedure for spin recovery other than deploy BRS.

BTW - these are not my opinions - I'm quoting directly from the March
2005 COPA newsletter - so any flames may be directed to COPA.

Having said all of that, they have exceeded Cessna in sales.
Go figure!

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE

Old March 27th 05, 05:53 AM
BTIZ

Currently the Cirrus is having a higher accident rate per hours flown than
most other single engine aircraft... it's new.. and harder to fix for minor
dings than bent sheet metal..

Also, I do not fly a Cirrus, but have seen that pilots used to C-182s or
Mooney's are not used to the speed and fast wing of the Cirrus... lots of
long hot landings on short runways...

BT

Old March 27th 05, 03:40 PM
Dave

Agreed Tony!

I like airplanes that respond to my control inputs, correct or not...

I have a real problem with the so called "recovery" procedures in this
design.

Would like to see the 'chute to be the LAST resort, not the first
recovery procedure..

Anybody here have any theories as to why (aerodynamically) this design
has recovery problems?

Dave

Old March 27th 05, 07:02 PM
Jimmy B.

Doodybutch wrote:
I was thinking about upgrading to a Cirrus if I could scrape the money
together. They're really nice, if you haven't checked one out.

An acquaintance of mine told me that the insurance on these aircraft is much
higher than comparably priced singles because of the ballistic parachutes.
Apparently, once it's deployed the airplane is totaled and there have been a
number of deployments.

I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable would comment on this.

Thanks,

DB

The other issue is that the Cirrus is an unknown. There just isn't
enough of them out there to get good statical data. Of course, the
insurance industry will error on the negative side for you (positive for
them.)

Old March 27th 05, 07:04 PM
Jimmy B.

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Doodybutch" wrote in message

I was thinking about upgrading to a Cirrus if I could scrape the money
together. They're really nice, if you haven't checked one out.

An acquaintance of mine told me that the insurance on these aircraft is
much higher than comparably priced singles because of the ballistic
parachutes. Apparently, once it's deployed the airplane is totaled and
there have been a number of deployments.

I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable would comment on this.

Thanks,

DB

The latest AOPA Pilot addresses this directly. For a 500 hour pilot with 100
hours in retracts, and no time in make and model the figures a

2004 Cirrus SR22: $10,800/yr.

Holy cow, that's a lot of money! I didn't know that the premium for
Cirrus' was that much.

Old March 28th 05, 11:32 PM
Mike Murdock

The figures published in "AOPA Pilot" may be high, for various reasons I
won't go into. You might want to Call NationAir, an insurance broker which
carries a lot of Cirrus policies. Call the St. Louis office at (877) 475
5860. If you ask for Karen Caudle or J.T. Helms, they should be able to
give you some estimates, based on your experience level.

As to the unsolicited advice you've received on whether or not to buy a
Cirrus, I'd like to add one more piece: Don't believe everything people say
on Usenet (including my advice, which is why I'm giving you references to
verify it). My unscientific estimate is that at least 95% of Cirrus owners
are delighted with their airplanes. There seem to be some disgruntled
non-owners in this newsgroup, however. Go figure.

If you're not already a member of the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association,
you can join for $50 a year. You can read the unvarnished truth about the
plane there -- warts and all. If it convinces you that you wouldn't be
happy with a Cirrus, it will have saved you way more than $50 in grief. At
any rate, you can get WAY more than $50 in good advice for aviation in
general (not limited to Cirrus) there. You don't have to be an owner to
join. You just have to pay the 50 bucks

http://www.cirruspilots.org

Best of luck in your endeavor, whichever type of plane you buy. There are
no bad types of general aviation airplanes -- just good and better.

-Mike

Old March 30th 05, 06:15 PM
Dude

Anybody here have any theories as to why (aerodynamically) this design
has recovery problems?

Dave

I got theories, but given my level of expertise, they are better labeled
guesses. I have to warn you that just asking that question is considered
heresy by many. Obviously, anyone outside of the government or Cirrus would
have to have a LOT of resources and motivation to figure this out for real.
Maybe one of the big insurers might care enough, but they would likely only
bullly Cirrus into doing the testing. USAIG has reportedly come to call in
Duluth, but has not yet demanded that Cirrus perform the normal tests in
spite of the BRS supported waiver.

Looking at a Cirrus it seems to me the CG may be too high above the wing.
Of course, this is even more true about many modern Bizjets, but intuitively
it would seem to be a bad thing for spin recovery.

The wing loading seems to be pretty high compared to the weight of the
plane, but I have no idea how this relates. In fact, if you look at the
Bizjets again, it would seem that this is not necessarily a problem.

Lastly, the shape of the wing is very complex, and it would seem that they
over did it on the spin resistance bit. How this makes it tough to recover,
or even if its a factor is unknown.

The bottom line may be that the growth of BRS technology that Cirrus is
indirectly funding could be worth the losses in the long run (not that the
families of the lost will see it that way). It could also be that after we
get another few million hours, the Cirrus will prove to be as safe as the
Cessna's and Diamonds (but I think the verdict is in already).

For me, it all didn't matter. I am convinced that the quality is just not
there. In spite of the G2 improvements, I think they are still a long way
behind the other major players, and especially behind Lancair and Diamond.