Bose X - $995 and holding...

Old November 23rd 05, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Bose X - $995 and holding...

I've flown with the Bose X in my pal's Navajo (he has two up front and
two Sennheisers in back) and love it. The thing weighs nothing and the
sound quality is fantastic (esp with the CD player piped in). My bitch
is they're twice as much as the next cheapest ANR headset and by now
I'd figured the price would have come down a tad. I assume Bose is
selling every headset they make so they're probably not too motivated
to sell them for less to a yutz like me. Is there any way to make my
DC13.4 any more comfy? Is that aftermarket ANR mod (can't recall the
make) worth the dough?

Wooly

Old November 23rd 05, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Instead of spending a lot of money, why not do like I have for years
and wear some soft foam earplugs under the headset?

Old November 23rd 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I had the HEADSETS INC ANR coversion done to my DC10-40's. I like them.

Roger @ MD43 C150E

Roger @ MD43 C150E
oups.com...

Old November 25th 05, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Instead of spending a lot of money, why not do like I have for years
and wear some soft foam earplugs under the headset?

Not a bad idea, but I'm more concerned about the comfort (i.e.
vise-like pressure on my head) after about an hour or so. The gel seals
help a bit but I understand typical passive noise reduction headsets
are all pretty much the same as far as clamping pressure(?)

Old November 25th 05, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
" wrote:

Instead of spending a lot of money, why not do like I have for years

and wear some soft foam earplugs under the headset?

Not a bad idea, but I'm more concerned about the comfort (i.e.
vise-like pressure on my head) after about an hour or so. The gel seals
help a bit but I understand typical passive noise reduction headsets
are all pretty much the same as far as clamping pressure(?)

You should try Peltors. I wore a set for ten years and they were always
very comfortable. In fact, my Peltors are so comfortable (and do such a
good job of shutting out the noise) that I initially had some buyer's
regret after getting a Bose X. (But that went away yesterday when I
accidentally left my cell phone on and I could hear it ring in flight.
My Peltors can't do that! :-)

rg
Old November 25th 05, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not a bad idea, but I'm more concerned about the comfort (i.e.
vise-like pressure on my head) after about an hour or so. The gel seals
help a bit but I understand typical passive noise reduction headsets
are all pretty much the same as far as clamping pressure(?)

It depends on how wide your head is.
A narrow head does not feel as much clamping as a wide head does.
DC 20-10's have an adjustable head band and ear cups to fit wider heads.
Old November 28th 05, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ron Garret" wrote in message

I accidentally left my cell phone on and I could hear it ring in flight.
My Peltors can't do that! :-)

Hell, my cell phone can't do that.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old November 28th 05, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If you know someone who works for Bose (even the retail stores), they
can get them for $750.
Still too rich for my blood, but...

Old November 28th 05, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Garret wrote:
Instead of spending a lot of money, why not do like I have for years
and wear some soft foam earplugs under the headset?

Not a bad idea, but I'm more concerned about the comfort (i.e.
vise-like pressure on my head) after about an hour or so. The gel seals
help a bit but I understand typical passive noise reduction headsets
are all pretty much the same as far as clamping pressure(?)

You should try Peltors. I wore a set for ten years and they were always
very comfortable. In fact, my Peltors are so comfortable (and do such a
good job of shutting out the noise) that I initially had some buyer's
regret after getting a Bose X. (But that went away yesterday when I
accidentally left my cell phone on and I could hear it ring in flight.
My Peltors can't do that! :-)

Well, I wore my Peltors for 6 or 7 years... I had buyers regret after
2-3 years. The ANR failed on 1, then both units. The cables wore thru
(seem to be high quality but who knows). Had them repaired and cables
replaced. They have worn thru again and the ANR has failed again. But
they were reasonably comfortable.

We bit the Bose bullet...
Old November 28th 05, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Good luck. I just retired my trashed Peltors for Bose. Haven't
exercised them but here's my reasoning; I've been trying to decide
between going the Lightspeed route or the Bose route.... and just bit
the Bose bullet. We spend relatively long periods of time in a somewhat
noisy, slow airplane. Short of a new aircraft, what upgrades will make
our travel more pleasurable?

As it became clear that our ANR Peltors were miserable in passive mode,
and the Garmin supplied XM Sat radio was a real joy even on IFR flights,
it dawned on me that our physical comfort was a real big deal. After
hearing all the raves about the Bose, we bit.

I thought the Peltor's were nicely engineered. The Bose looks much
nicer and they talk a good game.

We'll let you know how they perform.