Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 30th 17, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_10_]

Default Thoughts on panel upgrade?

I'm hoping some of you might be kind enough to offer some perspective regarding my panel (pic he https://s29.postimg.org/qvb54ydzb/Panel_2.jpg), it's equipped with:
* Cambridge L-NAV computer with vario display, audio vario & gear warning
* Cambridge GPS-NAV flight recorder & LCD navigation display
* Sage mechanical vario

Not pictured:
* Kobo XCSoar tablet (sunlight readable black & white flight computer)
* Android tablet, running Avare, connected to Stratux for traffic & weather

I've been flying gliders one season, and managed to earn the bronze badge. I plan to start on the silver badge this spring, and hope to fly cross country. I've only used the Cambridge as a vario, and it works fine; I imagine it's navigation interface is clunky compared to my tablets. The Kobo XCSoar tablet gives lots of glider flight data, and the Android tablet also runs XCSoar, in case of a Kobo failure.

I imagine some of you have been down this road. Other than the obvious aesthetics, what's the benefit of replacing the Cambridge gear with something like an LXNAV S100?

Thanks,
Paul

Ventus Panel upgrade Fish Soaring 3 September 12th 06 10:44 PM
Glass panel upgrade to a Turbo Arrow? Tauno Voipio Owning 9 March 12th 06 04:29 AM
panel upgrade from VFR to IFR John Doe Owning 5 September 26th 05 10:05 PM
cost of panel upgrade on bonanza soxinbox Owning 19 October 29th 04 04:35 AM
Beech F-33/B-55 panel upgrade or STC Gordon Rich-Phillips Owning 2 January 14th 04 01:28 PM