International Flying

Old June 23rd 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default International Flying

May be doing some international flying soon and want to get started on
my homework before doing so. When I was in college a professor showed
us a website that did a good job of informing a pilot on the rules of
flying internationally. It provided info about flight plans,
airspace/airport fees, and customs. Does anyone know of this site or
one like it?

Doogie

Old June 24th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

www.aopa.org
http://www.firstgov.gov/
check FAA for International operations, include the
International AIM
check State Department for travel warnings
check with your insurance company for international
coverage.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
| If you are going to Canada or Mexico there are many of us
that can help
| you. If you plan to go to a lot more countries you will
want to hire a
| dispatch service. You can hire them by the trip. They make
sure you
| have the necessary visas, landing permits, fuel
availability, etc. They

Old June 24th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Doogie wrote:
May be doing some international flying soon and want to get started on
my homework before doing so. When I was in college a professor showed
us a website that did a good job of informing a pilot on the rules of
flying internationally. It provided info about flight plans,
airspace/airport fees, and customs. Does anyone know of this site or
one like it?

Doogie

Depends on where you are going to be flying. AOPA is a good starting
point for non-pro pilots. The state department warnings are far far out
of date and nearly useless. ICAO rules are essentially the same as what
you are accustomed to but be prepared for a lot more paperwork like
flight plans for local flights, etc.
Oddly enough, I've been licensed in at least 15 countries and it isn't
all that much different. Coming back into the USA is the most stringent
and unforgiving so make sure you are up to speed on the re-entry
requirements. I have often felt like I was a hostile intruder coming
back into the USA being questioned by people that barely spoke english!
That really sets me off....
Rocky