Cutting aircraft cable?

Old June 17th 05, 06:53 PM
Stubby

Default Cutting aircraft cable?

How do I cut 3/16" stainless steel aircraft cable? I've tried
wirecutters, tin snips, airplane sheers, and a branch lopper. Tough stuff!
Old June 17th 05, 07:40 PM
John Kunkel

"Stubby" wrote in message
How do I cut 3/16" stainless steel aircraft cable? I've tried
wirecutters, tin snips, airplane sheers, and a branch lopper. Tough
stuff!

You need a dedicated cable/wire rope cutter.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200308983.htm

Old June 17th 05, 08:36 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"John Kunkel" wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message
How do I cut 3/16" stainless steel aircraft cable? I've tried
wirecutters, tin snips, airplane sheers, and a branch lopper. Tough
stuff!

You need a dedicated cable/wire rope cutter.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200308983.htm

A big hammer and a sharp chisel against an anvil will work, too.

Old June 17th 05, 09:04 PM
Stubby

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
"John Kunkel" wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message

How do I cut 3/16" stainless steel aircraft cable? I've tried
wirecutters, tin snips, airplane sheers, and a branch lopper. Tough
stuff!

You need a dedicated cable/wire rope cutter.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200308983.htm

A big hammer and a sharp chisel against an anvil will work, too.

Ah. The big hammer solution. I like that. Thanks.
Old June 17th 05, 09:10 PM
Gord Beaman

Stubby wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
"John Kunkel" wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message

How do I cut 3/16" stainless steel aircraft cable? I've tried
wirecutters, tin snips, airplane sheers, and a branch lopper. Tough
stuff!

You need a dedicated cable/wire rope cutter.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200308983.htm

A big hammer and a sharp chisel against an anvil will work, too.

Ah. The big hammer solution. I like that. Thanks.

Yes! that one appeals to me too...must be a man thing eh?...
--

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"
Old June 17th 05, 09:31 PM
RST Engineering

Orval --

A quick question from somebody who farms that part of the job out when it
has to be done...since the end doesn't take any of the tension of the cable,
what would be wrong with torching it and then nicropressing it outside of
the torched area?

Jim

A big hammer and a sharp chisel against an anvil will work, too.

Old June 17th 05, 11:23 PM
Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:53:30 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

How do I cut 3/16" stainless steel aircraft cable? I've tried
wirecutters, tin snips, airplane sheers, and a branch lopper. Tough stuff!

A cable cutter is suited to this chore - a big one, for preference!

Brian Whatcott
Old June 17th 05, 11:25 PM
Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:31:38 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Orval --

A quick question from somebody who farms that part of the job out when it
has to be done...since the end doesn't take any of the tension of the cable,
what would be wrong with torching it and then nicropressing it outside of
the torched area?

Jim

Doing things the boring, conventional way has a benefit:
reducing the unknowns.

Brian W.
Old June 18th 05, 04:32 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

Orval --

A quick question from somebody who farms that part of the job out when it
has to be done...since the end doesn't take any of the tension of the cable,
what would be wrong with torching it and then nicropressing it outside of
the torched area?

Jim

The problem is -- you just don't know how much of the cable has been
heat-damaged that way.

I have used the hammer/chisel and it works. Make sure that you have a
good, sharp chisel (and a big hammer).

A big hammer and a sharp chisel against an anvil will work, too.

Old June 18th 05, 04:41 AM
Gord Beaman

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

Orval --

A quick question from somebody who farms that part of the job out when it
has to be done...since the end doesn't take any of the tension of the cable,
what would be wrong with torching it and then nicropressing it outside of
the torched area?

Jim

The problem is -- you just don't know how much of the cable has been
heat-damaged that way.

At the risk of agreeing with Jim here I'll venture to say "Sure
you do...only the 'ends' are heated and those are inside the
clamped areas at the 'ends' of the cable..."