Route Planning

Old March 5th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

Default Route Planning

Jose wrote:

But it was mostly dismissed with a , "you never get the route you
filed for anyway in the Northeast." Which has been my experience and
thus my question.

That is my experience also; I'm in the northeast too.

Jose

Well, yes and no. If you fly a route a couple of times you can pretty
well predict what routing you are going to get. If you then file that,
you'll more often than not either get cleared as filed, or a full route
clearance that turns out to be exactly what you filed (for example, if I
file PVD ORW V16 ENO at 6000', they'll as often as not give me a full
route clearance that comes out PVD ORW V16 JFK V16 ENO or something
similar, but it is the route and altitude I filed, just with an extra
waypoint added, or sometimes with a V number added where I had two VORs
in a row in my file, or an alternate V number where two victor airways
overlap (V1 and V16 for example).
Old March 7th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 4, 10:00 pm, Ray Andraka wrote:
Jose wrote:
[...]

One way to see the commonly assigned routes ahead of time (shown to me
by my CFII) is to use
fltplan.com. This web site will show you the recently assigned routes
for the origin/destination airports
you specify. If you use it to file your flight plan, you can also see
what ATC has assigned you about 30 minutes *before*
you get in the plane and fire the engine up. I copy it down and every
time I have called up and gotten my
clearance, that's what I got.

At the flight school I go to (Panorama at HPN) , they have worked with
ATC (via the airport's aviation association) to get copies of all the
preferred and TEC routes to /from the airport in hardcopy form.

But if you use fltplan.com, you dont need to have this - its all in
their databases.

regards,
Jack

Old March 7th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 6, 4:04 pm, wrote:

But if you use fltplan.com, you dont need to have this - its all in
their databases.

Interesting.

I thought that the plan you see is the filed plan delivered from the
FAA computers to the flight tracking web sites.

Another example:

www.flightaware.com

Hover the mouse over the status field. It will appear some 30 minutes
*after* you file the plan.

ak.

Old March 8th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 6, 8:07 pm, wrote:
On Mar 6, 4:04 pm, wrote:

But if you use fltplan.com, you dont need to have this - its all in
their databases.

Interesting.

I thought that the plan you see is the filed plan delivered from the
FAA computers to the flight tracking web sites.

Another example:

www.flightaware.com

Hover the mouse over the status field. It will appear some 30 minutes
*after* you file the plan.

ak.

You see both . You can see what recent routes other users got for the
same origin/destination pair *before*
you file, and then you can see what you actually got from ATC after
you file. If there is a preferred route for the
pair, it will tell you that as well.

thanks for the tip about flightware.