Efis and other leading technology

Old January 22nd 05, 10:57 PM
Mark

Default Efis and other leading technology

I am planning the upgrade of a Piper Navajo panel. I wouldn't mind
spending the money for "cutting edge", but it is not clear what is
avialable and the infrastructure to support it. Could anyone provide
informed councel on EFIS or other certified options?
My questions are along the following:
1. Should I install Skywatch/Mode S or wait for ADS-B (I fly east
coast)?
2. Ditto on satellite weather?
3. Are any of the "economy" glass panels certified for retrofit?
I curently have a Garmin 530 and steam gauges.

Thanks,
Mark

Old January 23rd 05, 04:35 PM
ExecFly

I am planning the upgrade of a Piper Navajo panel. I wouldn't mind
spending the money for "cutting edge", but it is not clear what is
avialable and the infrastructure to support it. Could anyone provide
informed councel on EFIS or other certified options?
My questions are along the following:
1. Should I install Skywatch/Mode S or wait for ADS-B (I fly east
coast)?

Skywatch. Works everywhere, mode S does not.

2. Ditto on satellite weather?

Get the EX500 with datalink weather from Avidyne. It will show Skywatch
also.

3. Are any of the "economy" glass panels certified for retrofit?
I curently have a Garmin 530 and steam gauges.

A couple are. Look at Chelton and Meggitt / STEC.

Old January 23rd 05, 05:54 PM
Dan Luke

"Mark" wrote:
1. Should I install Skywatch/Mode S or wait for ADS-B (I fly east
coast)?

I wouldn't be in a hurry for either one. Nice to have, I guess.

2. Ditto on satellite weather?

That's different: a "must have."

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 23rd 05, 07:30 PM
Mark

Thanks. Good imput. Any thoughts on the Skywatch 497 (not HP) compared
to the Ryan 9900BX. Both are active interrogaters. Has anyone flown
both of them?
Mark

Old January 23rd 05, 07:45 PM
Peter R.

Dan Luke ) wrote:

"Mark" wrote:
1. Should I install Skywatch/Mode S or wait for ADS-B (I fly east
coast)?

I wouldn't be in a hurry for either one. Nice to have, I guess.

2. Ditto on satellite weather?

That's different: a "must have."

Since the summer I have been flying with WSI's satellite weather
displayed on an MX-20 moving map. I strongly recommend it, if you are
considering it.

--
Peter

Old January 23rd 05, 11:17 PM
Matt Barrow

"ExecFly" wrote in message
I am planning the upgrade of a Piper Navajo panel. I wouldn't mind
spending the money for "cutting edge", but it is not clear what is
avialable and the infrastructure to support it. Could anyone provide
informed councel on EFIS or other certified options?
My questions are along the following:
1. Should I install Skywatch/Mode S or wait for ADS-B (I fly east
coast)?

Skywatch. Works everywhere, mode S does not.

2. Ditto on satellite weather?

Get the EX500 with datalink weather from Avidyne. It will show Skywatch
also.

3. Are any of the "economy" glass panels certified for retrofit?
I curently have a Garmin 530 and steam gauges.

A couple are. Look at Chelton and Meggitt / STEC.

Agree with all the above, but Meggitt is not yet or even planned for
certification for the Navajo. http://www.magic.aero/stc.html

The "soon to be released" Sandel SN3500.
http://www.avionicswest.com/archive/sn3500.htm looks extremely promising.

#1. Since you already have the 530, I would go for the GTX330. I
imagine the E. Coast probably has the best TIS coverage of any place
in the US.

#2. Sat weather is awesome. Although, I don't think you have any
good options right now with the 530. I would consider getting a
tablet PC + WxWorx. If you don't want to mess with cables, get an
Avidyne or other display that is capable of displaying XM weather.

#3. I don't think so.

-Nathan

Old January 24th 05, 12:09 AM
Peter R.

#2. Sat weather is awesome. Although, I don't think you have any
good options right now with the 530.

WSI can interface with the 530 in its current form, although there is
speculation that Garmin's WAAS upgrade might disable this interface.

http://www.wsi.com/fly/inflight/sitepromo530.asp

--
Peter

Old January 26th 05, 01:35 AM
Mark

Peter

Thanks for the tip on Sat weather. I've looked at the options and
decided on XM weather using the GNS 530 display and the Garmin GDL-69
receiver. I'll also do the Ryan 9900B for traffic (also displayed on
the 530). The 9900B gives a litle better coverage than the Mode S
transponder, although it is still a compromise to the "interrogating"
9900BX. The additional $10-12K for the BX or Skywatch didn't seem
justified in my east coast flying.

Mark

Old January 26th 05, 01:56 AM
John R. Copeland

"Mark" wrote in message =
oups.com...
Peter
=20
Thanks for the tip on Sat weather. I've looked at the options and
decided on XM weather using the GNS 530 display and the Garmin GDL-69
receiver. I'll also do the Ryan 9900B for traffic (also displayed on
the 530). The 9900B gives a litle better coverage than the Mode S
transponder, although it is still a compromise to the "interrogating"
9900BX. The additional $10-12K for the BX or Skywatch didn't seem
justified in my east coast flying.
=20
Mark

I have a 9900BX, and though it is expensive, I like its more accurate
measurement of range, as opposed to the 'Indicated Range' of the 9900B.
My 9900BX is the third TCAD I've owned, and it's the best one yet.
Whichever you choose, the 9900B or the -BX, I'm sure you'll wonder
how you ever got along without it earlier.