Enstrom ride

Old June 23rd 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stu Fields

Default Enstrom ride

I finally got a few (15) minutes in a turbocharged Enstrom.
Controls heavier than what I'm used to.
CHT issue at 4500' two up and 65F
Overboost light while hovering
Vibration level felt a bit more than my two blade Safari
Auto very nice. No VSI but it looked a lot nicer than the Schweitzer tuck
and dive of the 300 series. Was able to handle a hover after just a few
minutes. Much easier first time than the R-22.

This is a heavy bird compared to my Safari. With a turbo charger on my 0320
I think that I could outperform the Enstrom and carry the same payload.
Don't think that I'm going to trade my Safari for an Enstrom.

News flash!! Canadian Home Rotors, the home of the Safari has been sold.
Forecast is for improvements to the Safari which has the potential for being
the best small two seater out there with some relatively minor improvements
in the QC.

Old June 24th 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

On Jun 24, 3:03*am, "Stu Fields" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Stu.

I am surprised at the vibration. Perhaps it was out of balance. No 3
blade ship should have anything like the vibration of a 2 blader.

The thing that keeps me away from the Safari (apart from being
prohibited from spending by my wife!) is the low cruise speed and the
lack of baggage space. I can't see those changing any time soon?

But I do like the Safari mostly because it is a 'proper' helicopter
like the hummingbird 260L and has a robust transmission.

Old June 24th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stu Fields

"JohnO" wrote in message
[...]

JohnO: Ken Brock, of the gyrocopter fame and a commercial rated helicopter
pilot, once said that rotorcraft weren't very good for cross country work.
I disagreed with him. My Safari on a trailer behind my pickup with its
slide in camper has accumulated over 150,000 miles. I've got plenty of
bagage space, IMC doesn't bother me very much, I got transportation to the
store when I get to my destination and my place to stay is with me. When
I'm in the air I cruise at 75to 80 mph. To get a faster two seat ship would
cost me a lot more. The speed vs cost trade-off lands me right back where I
am. I can get a Helicycle which will cruise over 100 while using twice the
fuel and I can only carry a small tooth brush.
BTW my wife came up with the suggestion that I get a Helicycle to build
because I'm more pleasant to have around if I have a project. We are
presently looking for an unfinished kit.
I just might do a re-design on parts of the Safari to satisfy my need for
better machining on some of the parts.
Yep the Hummingbird is close to having a certified ship without all the
bureacratic problems.

Stu

Enstrom F28A rotor&wing Rotorcraft 2 February 24th 06 10:45 PM
Enstrom 480B Andrew Crane Rotorcraft 5 February 24th 06 10:42 PM
Enstrom Helicopter enquiry Patrick Scofield Rotorcraft 1 May 7th 05 02:55 AM
Enstrom F-28F Badwater Bill Rotorcraft 14 February 25th 04 09:45 AM
Enstrom on ebay joe Rotorcraft 5 February 5th 04 08:36 PM