Eberly Trailer Spring

Old September 28th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Default Eberly Trailer Spring

Hi I'm looking to see if anyone knows anything about the spring driven arms that hold up some Eberly trailers. For people who haven't seen them before they serve a similar purpose to gas springs in Cobras but using a spring and lever. The trailer for me and my partners Libelle has them installed but only one side has a sufficiently large enough spring. This means that one side of the clamshell has to be secured manually while the other side stays up on it own. It also means that the half clamshell opens and closes somewhat sideways due to an uneven loading. I'm hoping someone has either a part number for the arms, arm assembly, or just the springs encapsulated in the arms so I can buy a new spring for the week side. I have done some pretty thorough googling and come across very little usable info. Also for those still a bit confused as to what I am talking about here is a few pictures of the spring loaded arms on our trailer. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...l1?usp=sharing
Old September 28th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I put clam-shell lifters on my Eberly trailer, got them from a small tent camper trailer. Can't remember any details as that was over 40 years ago. Google tent camper trailer and see if anything looks workable.
JJ
Old September 28th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Sweet thanks JJ that did it. For anyone looking themselves they are C&R Universal Lift Kits and you can get replacement parts here
http://www.canvasreplacements.com/in...p/cPath/20_200
Old September 28th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

To my knowledge, Eberle trailers didn't have lift struts. The user had to raise the lid manually and then swing down the support legs one at a time (much easier with two people). This was before the Cobras and Komets started showing up with gas springs. The advantage of gas springs is that the force declines much, much less than metal springs as the lid goes up. The disadvantage is that gas springs lose pressure over time, especially if they're mounted upside down (i.e., with the piston rod facing up in the stored position, allowing the internal oil to drain away from the seal). Obviously even metal springs don't necessarily last forever.

Chip Bearden
Old September 28th 18, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Yah Chip you are correct Eberly trailers did not originally come with lift springs but some, including mine, were retrofitted with universal lift kits that are designed for campers.